The AE5400 from Audio-Technica’s Artist Elite series is a cardioid condenser microphone that delivers pristine sound quality that makes it the ultimate choice in vocal performance gear. It boasts effortless capacity for high sound pressure levels (147 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.; 157 dB SPL, with 10 dB pad [nominal]), as well as a superb dynamic range of 133 dB (1 kHz at Max SPL). The cardioid polar pattern minimizes pickup of background noise at its sides and rear, making it easier to position the mic so it captures the desired sound source.
This true condenser mic boasts the same large-diaphragm, externally polarized (DC Bias) condenser element design as Audio-Technica’s classic AT4050 studio mic. In addition, AT5400 features a large-diaphragm capsule for accurate, natural response, while its built-in anti-shock design minimizes handling noise for quiet, nuanced performances that only capture the sound you want. A custom transformer helps to minimize background noise and RF interference, resulting in excellently-saturated characteristics that contribute to the overall smooth, linear sound quality of the AT5400.
Ruggedly built, the AE5400 was designed with touring and other high-demand applications in mind where durability and reliable quality are of equal importance. Its superior anti-shock engineering inhibits handling noise and ensures a quiet performance that captures every nuance, while its multi-stage grille protects against vocal plosives and sibilance—all without compromising its high-frequency performance and professional-caliber clarity. The AE5400’s double-sided PCB uses surface-mount components, while its extensive grounding plane and adherence to best practices of grounding methods work to minimize electrical noise. This mic also features an integrated 80 Hz HPF switch and a 10 dB pad.
Rounding out the AE5400 is Audio-Technica’s custom Quiet-Flex™ stand clamp for 5/8"-27 threaded stands, which allows for silent, flexible microphone positioning. Other accessories included with the AE5400 are a 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter, as well as a T4 soft protective pouch for secure transportation and safe storage.
Audio-Technica AE5400 Features
- The ultimate vocal performance instrument
- Pristine sound quality demanded by the most discriminating microphone user
- True condenser design
- Superior anti-shock engineering ensures low handling noise and quiet performance
- High-quality double-sided PCB uses surface-mount components
- Extensive grounding plane and attention to best-practice grounding methods minimize electrical noise
- Multi-stage grille design protects against plosives and sibilance
- Cardioid polar pattern improves isolation of desired sound source
- Custom transformer contributes to smooth linear sound quality
- Robust design for enduring dependability on the road
- Quiet-Flex™ stand clamp provides silent, flexible microphone positioning
- Integral 80 Hz HPF switch and 10 dB pad
- AE5400 Cardioid Condenser Handheld Microphone1
- AT8470 Quiet-Flex™ stand clamp for 5/8"-27 threaded stands1
- 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter1
- T4 Soft Protective Pouch1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance150 ohms
- Sensitivity-40 dBV/Pa (10.0 mV)
- Low Frequency Roll Off80 Hz, 12 dB/octave
- Maximum Input Sound Level
- 147 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- 157 dB SPL, with 10 dB pad (nominal)
- Noise14 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range133 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio80 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements11-52V DC, 4 mA typical
- High-pass filter
- 10 dB pad (nominal)
- Connector3-Pin XLRM
- Dimensions 7.05 inches (179 mm) long, 1.97 inches (50 mm) head diameter, 1.3-0.87 inches (33 - 22 mm) tapered body diameter
- Weight11.6 oz (330 g)