Intended for surface-mounted applications, the PRO44 stands up to demanding sound pickup locations with high-quality sound reinforcement from its low-profile yet rugged design. Using a half-space cardioid polar pattern with a 60° acceptance angle, this mic is laser-focused on the sound you want to capture. Commonly seen on tables, podiums, and lecterns, this condenser boundary microphone is popular for an array of public speakers.
Sound quality excels by focusing narrowly on the sound source in front of it, thanks to its half-space cardioid polar pattern. High sensitivity of the PRO44 offers useful output and an excellent match to most mixer, tape recorder, and amplifier inputs. Output can hold steady undistorted up to 114 dB SPL.
Any external 9V-52V DC phantom power source can be used to power the boundary microphone. Apply DC phantom power equally to Pins 2 and 3. Ground for the power supply connects to Pin 1, and can be provided by a console or mixer with built-in phantom voltage, or by adding an in-line phantom power supply. A 25’ cable is included for use between the microphone and electronics input, with TA3F and XLRM-type connectors.
Cutting-edge low-mass technology helps this condenser mic deliver superior performance. Instead of the charge being on the moving element, the charge is on the fixed back plate. With this fixed-charge back plate construction, the gold-vaporized diaphragm in use can be smaller than in other models. Slimming the diaphragm down to 2 microns (.000079 inches) thick substantially reduces moving mass, so frequency response and transient response are improved while distortion is reduced.
Placement of the PRO44 offers advantages as well. Resting on a flat, unobstructed surface increases directionality by 3 dB for enhanced gain before feedback and improved rejection of ambient noise. Increased sensitivity improves signal-to-noise ratio, and phase distortion from reflected sound energy from the boundary itself is eliminated. Rubber non-slip bottom pad minimizes vibrations to the microphone. Centering the mic on your flat surface creates the best possible setup.
Audio-Technica PRO 44 Features
- Low profile for minimum visibility
- Wide-range condenser element with low-mass diaphragm for superior performance
- Self-contained electronics eliminate need for external power modules
- Rugged design and construction
- 25' (7.6 m) detachable cable (TA3F to XLRM-type)
- PRO 44 ProPoint Condenser Boundary Microphone1
- Two Year Limited End User Warranty1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternHalf-cardioid (cardioid in hemisphere above mounting surface)
- Frequency Response70 Hz - 16 kHz
- Output Impedance100 ohms
- Sensitivity -25 dBV/Pa (56.2 mV)
- Maximum Input Sound Level 114 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- Dynamic Range 86 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio 66 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements9-52V, 2 mA typical
- Cable25' (7.6 m) long, with TA3F and XLRM-type connectors
- 2.87" (73 mm) maximum width
- 3.56" (90.5 mm) maximum length
- 0.59" (15 mm) height
- Weight2.4 oz (67 g)