The Zoom F8n multitrack field recorder provides the tools you need to create something exceptional. The 8-channel, 10-track field audio recorder and mixer records in BWF-compatible WAV formats up to 24-bit resolution and is filled with must-have features to bring in the next generation of professional field recording.
Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters add a 1-millisecond delay, allowing them to “look ahead” and anticipate clips before they are recorded. This protection works on all 8 channels simultaneously and at full resolution, and 10-20 dB of headroom ensures crystal clear audio.
Enjoy an assistant sound editor with Zoom AutoMix™. This setting automatically adjusts mix levels, minimizing the pickup of background noise. Ambisonics mode provides precise A-to-B decoding and balanced gain linking, excellent for capturing spatial audio. Pair with Zoom’s free Ambisonics Player software for easy decoding and editing of your 360-audio.
Designed for location sound capture, the mic preamps boast a super-low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN), and high gain (up to 75 dB). Mic/line levels are selectable on XLR and TRS inputs.
Headphone processing optimizes monitoring in the field: a digital gain boost minimizes ambient bleed, signals can be routed more freely, and the headphone output can be switched to mono.
Tracks stay perfectly synced thanks to the Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator, which consistently generates time code with an accuracy of 0.2 ppm.
Simultaneous recording offers convenience and protection. The F8n can record to an SD card and a computer via USB at once - great for live streaming, file back-up, and more. Dual-channel recording mode also protects your recordings by creating duplicates of tracks. Three power sources and the pre-record function work to make sure you won’t miss the perfect shot.
For further optimization of the F8, add the FRC-8 F-Control. The FR-8 offers 60 mm faders and controls for trim, pan, and track aiming, all go-to tools for any professional filmmaker. For wireless control, use the F8n’s F Control APP via BTA-1 (sold separately) to monitor and make adjustments from your iPhone or iPad.
Zoom F8n Features
- 8 discrete inputs with locking Neutrik XLR/TRS combo connectors
- High quality mic preamps with up to 75 dB gain and less than -127 dBu EIN
- Switchable +4dB inputs with mic/line options for both XLR and TRS
- Advanced Look-Ahead Hybrid Limiters
- Support for up to 24-bit/192 kHz recording, and 44.1 kHz, plus 47.952 kHz/48.048 kHz for HD video compatibility;
- 16-/24-bit resolution
- Accurate Time Code (0.2 ppm when on and up to 0.2 ppm when powered off) I/O on standard BNC connectors; dropframe/non-drop formats with Jam Sync
- Dedicated gain control knob, 6-segment LED level meter, and PFL/Solo switch for each channel
- High pass filter, phase invert, and Mid-Side decoder
- Input delay of up to 30 msec per channel / output delay of up to 10 frames per output
- Compatible with Zoom microphone capsules; optional extender cable enables remote positioning
- Dual mini-XLR (TA3) balanced Main Outs plus 1/8" stereo mini-jack Sub Out
- Dedicated headphone output (100 mW) with front panel volume control
- 2.4" full-color backlit LCD with monochromatic mode
- Dedicated PFL display with viewable trim settings
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC card slots, up to 512 GB each
- Records in BWF-compliant WAV or MP3 file formats
- Support for extensive metadata (BWF and iXML); input time, date, project, scene number, etc.
- Built-in slate mic/slate tone with front panel switch
- Use as an 8-in/4-out USB audio interface (@ 96 kHz)
- Free Zoom F8 Control App for iOS allows wireless remote control, file renaming, and metadata entry
- F8n field recorder1
- AD-19 12V AC adapter1
- Cubase LE and WaveLab LE download codes1
- Dual SD card slots support16MB–2GB SD cards, 4GB–32GB SDHC cards and 64GB–512GB SDXC cards
- Recording formats
- WAV supported formats: 44.1/47.952/48/48.048/88.2/96/192kHz, 16/24-bit, mono/stereo//2-10ch poly, BWF and iXML
- MP3 supported formats: 128/192/320kbps, 44.1/48kHz, ID3v1 tags
- Max simultaneous recording tracks (with WAV): 10 (8 inputs + stereo mix), 8 (at 192kHz sampling rate)
- Max simultaneous recording tracks (with MP3): 2
- Connectors 1-8: XLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot, TRS: TIP hot)
- EIN: −127 dBu or less (A-weighted, +75dB input gain, 150Ω input)
- Frequency characteristics: 10 Hz – 80 kHz +0.5dB/−1dB (192kHz sampling rate)
- A/D dynamic range: 120 dB typ (−60dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Crosstalk: −90 dB or less (between adjacent channels, 1kHz)
- Main out 1/2 connectors: TA-3 connectors, balanced output (2: hot)
- Sub out 1/2 connector: 3.5mm stereo mini unbalanced output jack
- Headphone connector: 1/4" unbalanced stereo output jack
- Time code
- Connector: BNC
- Frame rates: 23.976ND, 24ND, 25ND, 29.97ND, 29.97D, 30ND, 30D
- Precision: ±0.2 ppm
- Supported input levels: 0.2 – 5.0 Vpp
- Input impedance: 4.6 kΩ
- Output level: 3.3 Vpp
- Output impedance: 50 Ω or less
- Batteries: 8 AA
- AC adapter: AD-19 DC12V 2A (center plus)
- External DC power supply: HIROSE HR10A-7R-4S 4-pin connector; (1 pin: −, 4 pin: +), 9–18 V
- Average continuous recording time for 2 channels: 6-12 hours (depends on power source, features being used on F8n)
- Average continuous recording time for 8 channels: 1-8 hours (depends on power source, features being used on F8n)
- Display2.4" full-color LCD, 320x240
- USB classUSB 2.0
- Dimensions (WxDxH)7" x 5.5" x 2.1"
- Weight2.2 pounds