The AR-133 Active Direct Box from BSS includes phantom power and battery supplies as standard. Should the phantom power from the console fail or be accidentally switched off, the AR-133 automatically switches over to the internal 9V battery providing uninterrupted use. The unit is housed in a rugged aluminium extrusion case, with robust polyurethane end-cheeks which give the AR-133 a very distinctive look.
Input connectors are both 1/4" jack sockets and an XLR socket, the latter meaning that the AR-133 can be used to convert unbalanced signals to a balanced output on XLRs throughout. The arched case allows cables to run back underneath the unit from the end for neat cable management.
Input attenuation is 0, -20 or -40dB, making the box suitable for instrument, line or amplifier levels on inputs. On the output side, a ground-lift switch is provided for quick solutions to ground-loop problems. The AR-133 uses an enhanced version of the same audio path as the AR-116, now regarded by many people as a reference standard. The sound quality is legendary, particularly on acoustic and bass guitars.
Numerous applications can be satisfied by the AR-133. For example, as well as the traditional guitar use, the AR-133 can be used with keyboards, DJ consoles, amplifier outputs, and other electronic sources. An additional bonus is the ability to use the AR-133 as an active balancing device.
BSS AR-133 Features
- Switchable input attenuation
- Matches the level and impedance with unity gain without loading the source
- Can drive signals up long cable lengths
- Powered from console phantom power or internal battery
- Automatic switchover to battery if phantom power fails
- Parallel Link Jack output to feed amplifiers directly
- Parallel XLR input for converting unbalanced outputs to balanced lines
- AR-133 Active Direct Box1
- Audio Circuit TypeActive
- Input Impedance1 MOhm (pad at 0dB), 47 kOhm (pad at -20dB or -40dB)
- Max Input+9dBu (pad at 0dB), +29dBu (pad at -20dB), +49dBu (pad at -40dB)
- Input ConnectorsTwo Parallel 1/4" jack connectors (Tip Hot +ve, Sleeve ground), and a parallel XLR connector (unbalanced) (Pin 2 Hot +ve, Pin 1 & 3 ground)
- OutputTransformer Balanced
- Max Output+8dBu into 600 Ohms or greater
- Output ConnectorsXLR3-32 or equivalent
- THD< 0.005% at 1khz, 0dbu output
- Noise< -105db unweighted, 22hz-22khz, rms*
- Frequency Response30Hz to 20kHz, +0dB/-1dB
- Main/Standby battery9 volt PP3 type, preferably alkaline
- Power Consumptionon phantom: less than 7.5mA, on battery: less than 2mA.
- Phantom Power+20 volts DC to +48 volts DC
- Unit Weight650 gms, excluding batteries
- Dimensions2.3x4.9x5.6" (59x124x143 mm)