The Galaxy Audio CRICKET Speaker Polarity/Continuity tester is great for sound contractors, musicians, DJs, and many others. Polarity, should it become reversed, can play havoc with a powered active speaker. If two sources are emitting the same electrical or acoustic tone (frequency), and one of those sources is in a state of inverted polarity, those tones, when combined at a given point, will cancel each other. This severely alters the sound of a system.
Polarity can be reversed while soldering cables, adding components to a sound system, reversing 'Banana' plugs, or replacing a component in a speaker cabinet improperly, to name a few instances. The purpose of the CRICKET is to test the polarity of a sound system each time it is used to insure it is working properly.
Galaxy Audio's battery powered speaker CRICKET Polarity/Continuity Tester Set makes it easy to determine whether every component in an audio system from patch bay to console to speakers is in or out of polarity. The CRICKET tests balanced and unbalanced cables of up to 2,000 feet in length. It will drive a “snake” (even one with transformers), and indicate which of a microphone's XLR connector pins is hot. The Galaxy Audio CRICKET speaker polarity tester can also plug directly into a speaker cabinet and drive the components. A glance at the CRICKET's red and green LED's can save hours of troubleshooting. No wonder it's an indispensable tool for sound system owners, operators, installers, and sound rental companies.
The CRICKET Polarity Tester is a two-piece unit ('Send' & 'Receive'). The Send unit generates a 'pulse', which is sent through the speaker, cable, microphone, or the device being tested. The Receive unit interprets that pulse and indicates if that pulse is positive or negative. The bottom of each unit has a quick reference guide on how to understand the readings given. The CRICKET Polarity Test Set is easy to use, necessary to own, and not a lot of money. The CRICKET speaker phase tester is suggested for anybody working with sound systems.
Galaxy Audio CPTS Test Set Features
- Checks continuity and polarity
- 1/4" TRS and XLR in/out
- Tests speakers, mics, cables and wireless systems
- Tests mixers and signal processors for polarity inversions
- Internal speaker for testing mic polarity
- Internal mic for testing speakers
- High level output for testing miles of cable
- Battery test on Receive module saves troubleshooting time
- S-send pulse generator1
- R-receive pulse detector1
- Cricket-S-Send Pulse Generator
- Pulse waveform polarity: positive-going balanced line output pulse, switch selectable for hi or low level balanced signal with positive pressure produced at the tip of 1/4" jack and pin #2 of XLR jack
- Speaker output pulse: accepts 2 ohm (or greater) load with positive pressure produced at the tip of a 1/4" speaker jack and positive terminal of an internal speaker
- Battery: 9V (Alkaline only)
- Cricket-R-Receive Pulse Detector
- Green LED indicator: indicates positive-going pulse polarity with power switch in ON position, indicates battery status with power switch in BAT position
- Red LED indicator: indicates negative-going pulse polarity
- Detection inputs: one 1/4" balanced, one XLR balanced
- Mic sensitivity: -64dB, +3dB
- Function select: polarity only or continuity
- Battery: 9V (Alkaline only)
- Polarity/continuity test: female XLR pin 2,3,1 continuity; 1/4" jacks tip, ring, sleeve continuity