The handcrafted AT4080 Phantom-Powered Bidirectional Ribbon Microphone from Audio-Technica combines warm, natural, and smooth ribbon mic sound with rugged construction and reliability. Whether you’re recording in the studio or during a live broadcast, the AT4080 is a reliable way to achieve classic ribbon sound.
Audio-Technica’s MicroLinear™ ribbon is a patented process that involves folding, embossing, and hand assembly. The AT4080’s ribbon and junction plates are thinly coated with gold film to protect them from corrosion while maintaining the ribbon’s mass and resonant frequency. The MicroLinear ribbon imprint protects dual ribbons from distortion or lateral flexing, resulting in superior durability. With 18 patents pending, Audio-Technica’s ribbon transducer design achieves classic ribbon mic sound while sidestepping past problems of fragility and low output.
The AT4080 is capable of handling 150dB SPL (1kHz 1% THD). Approximately 80% of the integrated ribbon in the AT4080 is vertically corrugated over the length of the mic, while only the ends of the ribbon are corrugated horizontally. The result is a more rigid ribbon that is better resistant to the distortion associated with high sound pressure levels.
Phantom-powered active electronics stabilize impedance and enable a higher output, making them ideally compatible with mic preamps. While it isn’t used to power the AT4080 itself, this mic requires 48V phantom power when it’s connected to active electronics, providing nearly the equivalent level to the output of a condenser mic. The AT4080 features extremely powerful N50 Neodymium magnets, which provide a high output level and stable impedance to integrate this mic into all types of preamplifiers. It also features transformerless output circuitry that uses a 3-pin XLR connector.
Included with the AT4080 is a custom AT8449aSV shock mount for even better isolation against handling noise. Each model is hand-assembled and individually inspected for 100% quality control.
Audio-Technica AT4080 Features
- Smooth, warm and natural high-fidelity sound for professional recording, broadcast and sound reinforcement
- Proprietary MicroLinear™ ribbon imprint for superior durability
- Innovative dual ribbon construction for increased sensitivity
- Extremely powerful N50 rare earth magnets for high output level
- Ultra-fine mesh helps protect against ribbon damage
- Classic bidirectional (figure-of-eight) polar pattern picks up sounds equally from the front and back of the element
- High-SPL capability and extended frequency response
- Extended frequency response for natural audio reproduction
- Acoustic baffle system and large output transformer for natural low-frequency response and extended dynamic range
- Handmade production - including ribbon corrugation, imprint and assembly
- Open acoustical environment of the housing assembly minimizes unwanted internal reflections
- Phantom-powered active electronics provide stable impedance and higher output
- Custom shock mount provides superior isolation
- Certified by the METAlliance (Music Engineering and Technology Alliance)
- AT4080 Phantom-Powered Bidirectional Ribbon Microphone1
- AT8449aSV shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands1
- Microphone Dust Cover1
- Protective Carrying Case1
- Transducer TypeRibbon
- Polar PatternFigure-8
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 18 kHz
- Output Impedance100Ω
- Open Circuit Sensitivity -39 dB (11.2 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa
- Maximum Input Sound Level 150 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- Noise 22 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range 128 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio 72 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements 48V DC, 3.0 mA typical
- Weight 474g
- Dimensions 6.99 inches (177.5 mm) long, 2.10 inches (53.4 mm) maximum body diameter
- Output Connector Integral 3-pin XLRM-type