The handcrafted AT4081 Phantom-Powered Bidirectional Ribbon Microphone from Audio-Technica combines warm, natural, and smooth ribbon mic sound with rugged construction and reliability. Whether you’re recording in the studio or during a live broadcast, the AT4081 is a reliable way to achieve classic ribbon sound and is a great choice for miking a wide range of instruments (such as drum overheads, horns, orchestras, strings, and more), as well as guitar cabinets.
Audio-Technica’s MicroLinear ™ ribbon is a patented process that involves folding, embossing, and hand assembly. The MicroLinear ribbon imprint protects dual ribbons from distortion or lateral flexing, resulting in superior durability. Using six patents, Audio-Technica’s ribbon transducer design achieves classic ribbon mic sound while sidestepping past problems of fragility and low output.
The AT4081 is capable of handling 150dB SPL (1kHz 1% THD). Approximately 81% of the integrated ribbon in the AT4081 is vertically corrugated over the length of the mic, while only the ends of the ribbon are corrugated horizontally. The result is a more rigid ribbon that is better resistant to the distortion associated with high sound pressure levels.
Phantom-powered active electronics stabilize impedance and enable a higher output, making them ideally compatible with mic preamps. While it isn’t used to power the AT4081 itself, this mic requires 48V phantom power when it’s connected to active electronics, providing nearly the equivalent level to the output of a condenser mic. The AT4081 features extremely powerful rare-earth N50 Neodymium magnets, which provide a high output level and stable impedance to integrate this mic into all types of preamplifiers. It also features transformerless output circuitry that uses a 3-pin XLR connector.
Included with the AT4081 is a custom AT8471 isolation clamp for 5/8"-27 threaded stands for even better isolation against background noise, a 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter, windscreen for protecting against wind and vocal plosives, and a protective carrying case for safe transportation and secure storage. Boasting certification from Music Engineering and Technology Alliance (METAlliance), each model is hand-assembled and individually inspected for 100% quality control.
Audio-Technica AT4081 Features
- Low-profile stick design maximizes placement options
- Smooth, warm and natural sound tuned for instrument reproduction
- Innovative dual ribbon construction for increased sensitivity
- Extremely powerful N50 rare earth magnets for high output level
- Superfine mesh guards against ribbon damage
- High-SPL capability and extended frequency response
- Handmade production - including ribbon corrugation, imprint and assembly
- Phantom-powered active electronics provide stable impedance and higher output for maximum compatibility with microphone preamplifiers
- Certified by the METAlliance (Music Engineering and Technology Alliance)
- AT4081 Phantom-Powered Bidirectional Ribbon Microphone1
- AT8471 isolation clamp for 5/8"-27 threaded stands1
- 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter1
- S13 Protective Carrying Case1
- Transducer TypeRibbon
- Polar PatternFigure-8
- Frequency Response30 Hz - 18 kHz
- Output Impedance100Ω
- Open Circuit Sensitivity -42 dB (7.9 mV), re 1V at 1 Pa
- Maximum Input Sound Level 150 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- Noise 25 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range 125 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio 69 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements 48V DC, 3.0 mA typical
- Weight 152 g (5.4 oz)
- Dimensions 6.1 inches (155.0 mm) long, 0.83 inch (21 mm) maximum body diameter
- Output Connector Integral 3-pin XLRM-type