The Vanguard V44S gen2 is a stereo large-diaphragm multi-pattern FET condenser microphone. Lovingly crafted over 2 years, it’s designed to be a versatile, reliable, professional tool in the vein of highly-sought-after vintage stereo condensers of yesteryear. With a pair of coincident custom-voiced multi-pattern capsules, you can utilize X/Y, Mid-Side, Blumlein, and other less conventional stereo microphone techniques in a single microphone. With an all-new detented heavy-duty rotation mechanism, versatile splitter box, premium cryogenically-treated FET circuitry, and a VLSM shockmount, the V44S is the first and last stereo microphone you’ll ever need to reach for.
New for gen2
The V44S gen2 Multi-Pattern Stereo FET mic has been given a significant improvement in both sonic performance and it’s fit and finish. It now features a new stainless steel body to house the beefier, audiophile-grade components on the newly designed PCB.
- All XLR connectors on the microphone and splitter box are now made by Neutrik™. The cables have been upgraded to Neutrik™ REAN connectors.
- We have totally redesigned the stereo capsule rotating mechanism to allow for 120 degrees of top capsule rotation.
- The beautiful pinot noir Vanguard finish is even more luxurious.
- Beefed up the capsule cradle/saddle assembly, making the V44S gen2 nearly impervious to sudden knocks and shocks.
- Vanguard has upgraded a number of key signal-path components to audiophile-grade, sourced from USA makers.
- The component and circuit improvements have lowered the self-noise on the mic
The V44S gen2 is designed with the character of classic stereo microphones in mind, while also utilizing modern technology and design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals.
Its ultra-thin 3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured. Both custom-voiced capsules are independently switchable between cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8 pickup patterns, enabling X/Y, Mid-Side, and Blumlein stereo mic’ing within one microphone, as well as less conventional stereo techniques.
A heavy-duty, punched-steel rotation mechanism detents every 15 degrees for reliable, durable operation. The included splitter box contains an additional phase-reversed top capsule output, which is
perfect for less-than-ideal recording conditions such as concert taping. This allows mid-side recording with no additional mixer patching.
After hundreds of hours of listening and testing exhaustive design variations with world-class engineers, this microphone will vastly exceed the performance of other stereo microphones in its price range, and rival the performance of stereo microphones costing several times more.
The Vanguard V44S gen2 is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and precision-built in limited quantities to “no-compromise” standards, with final assembly and 100% testing taking place in Southern California. Vanguard Audio Labs started with twin extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule assemblies and custom-voiced them with a proprietary hand-tuning process, placing each capsule in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections. The top headbasket rotates up to 120 degrees, with detents every 15 degrees for repeatability of settings.
Vanguard Audio Labs then designed a transformerless solid-state circuit that matches the unique musical properties of their capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced
from manufacturers around the world. They cryogenically treated critical components in the signal and power paths, including an ultra-high-grade FET. Aesthetically, the precision-machined brass body is coated with their signature Pinot Noir, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Your V44S gen2’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone. The V44S gen2 was designed by a team of experts with more than 65 years of experience and vetted by award-winning engineers and producers.
The V44S gen2 was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. Vanguard Audio Labs performs 100% quality control – every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual tests here in Southern California before being hand-packed. Every part of the V44S was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-spec’ed. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Brass, steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by a five-year warranty.
Vanguard Audio Labs V44S gen2 Features
- Twin custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 3 independently selectable polar patterns per capsule
- Electronically-balanced solid-state circuitry loaded with premium-grade components
- Ultra-low-noise JFET design
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
- 90° rotatable top capsule with 15° detents
- Versatile splitter box for mobile & live recording conditions
- Heavy-duty brass, aluminum, steel, and zinc construction
- Robust punched-steel capsule rotation mechanism
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and "open-air" voicing
- Each V44S comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- V44S Multi-Pattern Stereo FET Condenser Microphone1
- VLSM Large Shockmount1
- V44S Splitter Box1
- 5-Pin Heavy-Duty Microphone Cable1
- Removable windscreen1
- Padded Pinewood Microphone Storage Box1
- Locking Aluminum Carrying Case1
- Five Year Warranty1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar Patterns (selectable)Cardioid, Figure-8, and Omnidirectional
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance200Ω
- Max SPLapprox. 135dB
- Equivalent Noise Level<=14dBA (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio>=80dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Electronics TypeSolid-state, electronically-balanced output
- Output ConnectorMale XLR 5-pin, gold-plated
- FinishPolished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone)1.11 lbs / 0.50kg
- Weight (in case)9.43 lbs / 4.28kg
- Dimensions (microphone)9.41″ long, 1.82″ max diameter / 239mm long, 46.25mm max diameter
- Dimensions (case)16.92″L x 12.60″W x 6.02″H / 430mmL x 320mmW x 153mm
- Voltage RequirementPhantom Power (+48V ideal)