The KickStand is a heavy microphone boom-arm isolator that combines a massive stabilizing base with an isolation pad to eliminate resonance from the stage, drum riser and studio floor from entering the microphone.
A common problem with bass guitar and kick drum is resonance on a live stage. This is generally caused by low frequencies coupling with the wood flooring which will combine with the instrument at certain frequencies and generate unwanted peaks and valleys.
Another problem is the physical vibration from the kick drum pedal and low-end from the PA system that causes the drums to rattle and transmit through the drum riser. Microphones that are near these sources are prone to picking up these unwanted sounds. The KickStand helps eliminate the problem by decoupling the microphone stand from the stage while introducing a stabilizing mass to hold the microphone firmly in place.
The design begins with a thick, high-density open cell acoustic foam isolation pad that covers the entire bottom plate. An innovative laser cut steel platform is ‘wedge’ shaped to eliminate standing waves while offering sufficient height to allow a boom-arm to be articulated into the ideal position. The isolation eliminates the resonance while the added mass stabilizes the microphone capsule for greater clarity and improved transient response.
Although originally developed for bass drum, the KickStand is very effective on electric guitar, bass and other instruments that generate low frequencies or may be subject to floor resonance from entering the mic via the microphone stand.
Primacoustic KickStand Features
- Combination boom-stand base and vibration isolator
- Eliminates disruptive resonance from the microphone stand
- Improves transient response of the microphone
- Makes getting the sound you want fast and mixing easier
- KickStand Bass Drum Microphone Stand1
- Material3/8th” Steel and high-density acoustic foam
- Dimensions 7.5” (190mm) x 9.75” (248mm) x 4.5” (114mm)
- ColorSteel: Black finish, paintable; Foam: charcoal