Meet the X1 S from sE Electronics, the new gold standard in affordable condensers. The X1 S is a refined version of sE's best-selling X1, tuned for advanced performance in every way imaginable. When sE introduced the X1 in 2010, it redefined the potential of an affordable hand-crafted condenser microphone.
With the highest dynamic range and SPL handling capabilities in its class, along with expanded features that dramatically increase its flexibility, the X1 S has been improved in every way - yet is even more affordable than the original.
Just like its predecessor, the X1 S utilizes a hand-made condenser capsule, meticulously constructed and tuned in sE’s capsule room by technicians with decades of experience. This results in a capsule built like the world’s finest musical instruments - and a capsule truly up to the challenge of recording them.
Where the original X1 was powerful, the redesigned electronics of the X1 S take its performance to a whole new level, giving it the highest dynamic range in its class. Its internal redesign also allows for improved sensitivity, dramatically increased SPL handling (up to 160dB!), and a huge reduction in self-noise.
The -10 dB and -20 dB pad switches provide extended dynamic range, enabling a wide range of applications and close-mic techniques for even the loudest instruments...think super-heavy electric guitars, fortissimo brass instruments, and heavy-footed kick drums.
Selectable at either 80Hz or 160Hz, these two filters help eliminate low-frequency rumble or footfall noise, as well as help compensate for excessive bass (proximity effect) with close-mic techniques.
Unlike the cheaply constructed bodies of some other "entry-level" microphones, the X1 S's all-metal chassis provides efficient rejection of any electrical interference and noise - and the high-quality finish ensures a great look for years to come.
The X1 S also comes standard with a mic clip that will securely attach it to any mic stand, but if you're interested in additional mounting and accessory options, you can read about the X1 S bundles below.
sE Electronics X1 S Features
- Custom-designed, hand-crafted capsule
- High-performance electronics
- Two switchable attenuation levels
- Two switchable low-cut
- All-metal housing and premium finish
- Gold-plated XLR connector
- X1-S microphone1
- Mic clip1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance125 ohms
- Sensitivity30 mV/Pa (-30.5 dBV)
- Max SPL140 / 150 / 160 dB (0/10/20 dB pad) (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Equivalent noise level9 dB(A)
- Dynamic range131 / 141 / 151 dB (0/10/20 dB Attentuation pad)
- Signal to Noise Ratio85 dB
- Low-cut filter80 / 160 Hz, 6 dB/Oct, switchable
- Attenuation Pad10 / 20dB, switchable
- Powering48 Volts according to IEC 61938
- Current consumption6 mA
- Connectivity3-pin male XLR connector
- DimensionsDiameter: 58mm (2.28 in), Length: 169mm (6.65 in)
- Weight445 g (15.7 oz.)