From day one, Vanguard Audio Labs has always sought ways to improve their products. The result is an upgrade to nearly all of the key signal-path components to audiophile-grade parts, sourced from American parts manufacturers. These upgrades enable a lower signal-to-noise ratio and vastly improved sound staging. With enhanced fit and finish of the final product, these mics are world-class performers that look great!
The V4 gen2 3-Pattern FET Condenser Microphone was designed in the USA, and undergoes final assembly in sunny Southern California. Vanguard Audio Labs perform 100% quality control – every single piece of your microphone kit undergoes a series of stringent audio and visual testsbefore being hand-packed.
Every part of the V4 gen2 was designed to be robust and reliable. Wherever possible, components were over-spec’d. The deep-cycle cryogenic treatment improves the lifespan and performance of critical electronic components. Stainless steel, aluminum, and zinc are part of the heavy-duty construction. Every Vanguard microphone is backed by a five-year warranty.
Any pair of V4 gen2s will match each other close enough for any critical recording applications.
The V4 gen2 is designed with certain characteristics of classic FET microphones in mind, while also utilizing modern technology and design to meet the demands of today’s recording professionals. Their ultra-thin 3µm edge-terminated capsule diaphragms are extraordinarily sensitive, ensuring that every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured. The signal and power paths of the V4 gen2 are identical to a single channel of the V44S, but also includes a simple -10/-20dB pad option.
After hundreds of hours of listening with world-renowned engineers in environments ranging from fully-equipped major studios to bootstrapped home setups, Vanguard Audio Labs can confidently say that this microphone will vastly exceed the performance of other microphones in its price range, and rival the performance of microphones costing several times more.
The Vanguard V4 gen2 is very different from other microphones in its price range. It is designed and precision-built in limited quantities to “no-compromise” standards, with final assembly and 100% testing here in Southern California.
The sensitive nature of microphones requires a high-standard, no-holds-barred test battery. Also central to the V4 gen2’s performance is an extra-large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered 3µm Mylar dual-capsule assembly, custom-voiced with a proprietary hand-tuning process. The capsule is mounted in an open-weave headbasket for a natural sound with low internal reflections.
A transformerless solid-state circuit matches the unique musical properties of the capsule, and is loaded with premium-grade, over-spec components sourced from manufacturers around the world, including Germany, Japan, and the USA.
Vanguard Audio Labs’ deep-cycle cryogenically treat critical components in the signal & power paths, including an ultra-high-grade FET that is many times more expensive than the standard transistor you’ll find in most sub-$600 microphones. As one of the most critical components in the signal path, Vanguard Audio Labs tested several premium-grade transistors before choosing this particular model, an American-made audiophile-grade transistor yielding results that are significant & audible improvements in audio quality, headroom, distortion, sound-stage and noise floor vs. standard-grade JFET transistors.
Neutrik® interconnects complete the signal path for the best possible sonic preservation.
Aesthetically, the precision-machined stainless-steel body is coated with signature Pinot Noir, finished with a deep, lustrous gloss, and accented by polished nickel trim and a precision-cast Vanguard badge. Your V4 gen2’s serial number is laser-engraved on the lower rear of the microphone.
The V4 gen2 was designed by a team of experts with more than a century of experience and vetted by award-winning engineers and producers.
Vanguard Audio Labs V4 gen2 Features
- Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with 3µm gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 3 selectable polar patterns – Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Switchable-10/-20 dB Attenuator
- Electronically-balanced solid-state circuitry loaded with American-made audiophile-grade components
- Ultra-low-noise JFET design
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal & power path components
- Neutrik® interconnects
- Heavy-duty SUS304 stainless steel, aircraft-grade aluminum, and zinc construction
- Open-weave headbasket for low internal reflections and “open-air” voicing
- Each V4 comes with its own laser-engraved serial number
- Over-spec componentry
- Deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Final Assembly & 100% Quality Control in California, USA
- Exquisite deep-gloss Pinot Noir finish
- Polished nickel trim
- Precision-cast Vanguard badge
- Laser-etched model and serial numbers
- V4 GEN2 3-Pattern FET Condenser Microphone1
- Spider-style shockmount1
- Padded pinewood box1
- Five Year Warranty1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar Patterns (selectable)Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance200Ω
- Max SPLapprox. 135dB (145dB w/ Pad)
- Equivalent Noise Level≤12dBA (A-weighted)
- Sensitivity≥82dBA (A-weighted)
- Output ConnectorNeutrik® male XLR 3-pin, gold-plated
- Attenuation/Pad Switch-10dB/ -20dB (switchable)
- Electronics TypeSolid-state, electronically-balanced output
- FinishPolished nickel trim / High-gloss Pinot Noir
- Weight (microphone)0.83 lbs / 0.38 kg
- Weight (in case)5.63 lbs / 2.56 kg
- Dimensions (microphone)8.2″ long, 2.05″ diameter / 208mm long, 52mm diameter
- Dimensions (case)12″L x 11″W x 5.75″H / 305mmL x 280mmW x 146mmH
- Voltage RequirementPhantom Power (+48V ideal)