The Neumann U 87 Ai is probably the best-known and most frequently used studio microphone the world over. Its smooth and refined sound is as iconic as its elegant exterior design. The U 87 Ai is the standard microphone for speech and vocals. Three polar patterns plus pad and low cut options make it adaptable to a wide range of applications.
The Neumann U 87 Ai is a true legend. Introduced in 1967, it has shaped the sound of countless hit records for the past 50 years. And when those hits were announced on the radio, many a DJ sat before a U 87 Ai. The legend continues: To this day, no professional recording studio is complete without a Neumann U 87 Ai.
The U 87 Ai is the epitome of a large diaphragm condenser microphone. Its tapered body and iconic headgrille design have become part of the collective consciousness: This is what a studio microphone looks like. The same is true of its sound: The U 87 Ai represents studio quality; it has become the gold standard by which other microphones are measured.
What sets the U 87 Ai apart is its unique combination of linearity and character. Although its on-axis frequency response is remarkably flat, it does exert certain charisma. It just sounds right! This makes the U 87 Ai both versatile and instantly recognizable.
Neumann U 87 Ai Features
- The world's most famous studio microphone
- Classic sound, instantly recognizable yet versatile
- Balanced frequency response
- Three polar patterns: omni, cardioid, figure-8
- Switchable low cut and pad
- Very low self-noise
- U 87 Ai multi-pattern condenser microphone1
- Wooden box1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar Patterns (selectable)Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance200 Ω
- Rated Load Impedance1 kΩ
- Sensitivity at 1kHz into 1kΩ20/28/22 mV/Pa ± 1 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR26/23/25 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-Weighted15/12/14 dB-A (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5%117 dB (cardioid)
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5% with Preattenuation127 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL)68/71/69 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, A-Weighted (re. 94 dB SPL)79/82/80 dB (Omni/cardioid/8)
- Max. Output Voltage-6 dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938)0.8 mA
- Matching ConnectorXLR 3 F
- Weight17.64 oz
- Dimensions2.21" x 7.87"