Virtual reality offers a new level of immersive experience. Though 360-video has gotten most of the attention so far, 360-audio has a massive impact on making you feel like a participant instead of an observer. Zoom’s H3-VR Handy Recorder offers a complete solution to step your audio into the future, whether you’re a game developer, filmmaker, musician, or any kind of content creator.
Before the H3-VR, capturing virtual reality audio required a whole set of tools. The H3-VR brings all those necessary elements together into one device that performs all encoding and decoding on board. This design saves time, money, and effort at each step of production, and makes mobile VR recording much more manageable.
Multiple styles of reality audio are possible with the 4-capsule Ambisonic microphone setup on the H3-VR. Record precise 360-degree VR audio recordings (up to 24 bit/96kHz) for VR experiences, enhance 2D productions with binaural 3D stereo (WAV files up to 24 bit/48kHz), or create standard stereo recordings. Download Zoom’s free Ambisonics Player software and convert H3-VR audio files to 5.1ch surround files for video.
The Auto Mic Position and Level Detection functions automatically calibrate to align audio and video for post. These automated features and the compact design of the H3-VR make it easy to place it out of the camera’s way while capturing immersive audio that matches the shot.
It’s difficult to stay out of a shot in a 360-video: add the BTA-1 adapter and H3 Control app to remotely control and adjust settings.
Listen in on how your 360-audio is going with monitoring and playback features that simulate the 360-degree result. Monitor audio live in stereo binaural or use Ambisonics Decoding during playback.
Create a virtual connection in audio interface mode. This mode turns the device into a USB 360 microphone for your computer, or a stereo microphone for your iOS device, so live streams, video conferences, or even direct recordings feel more like you’re there for the real thing.
Zoom H3-VR Features
- Complete solution for capturing and processing spatial audio for VR, AR, and mixed-reality content
- Built-in Ambisonic mic array, recorder, and decoder
- 360-audio in the palm of your hand
- All encoding and decoding is done on board the H3-VR
- Full-sphere surround sound recording
- Single-knob gain control of all input levels
- Onboard Ambisonics A to B decoding
- Three recording modes: Ambisonics, Stereo Binaural or Standard Stereo
- Record up to 24bit/96kHz
- Stereo binaural monitoring of Ambisonics signal
- Headphone output and line output
- Slate tone
- Extensive metadata
- Auto Mic Position Detection using 6-axis gyroscope (upfront, endfire,
- upside-down, endfire inverted)
- Level Function to ensure precise angle placement
- Wireless iOS remote control available through the BTA-1 Bluetooth adapter
- Onboard Ambisonics playback with audio rotation
- Accurate internal clock with .5ppm discrepancy
- USB 2.0 Audio Interface Mode
- Zoom PC/Mac post-production software to play, change a direction, and convert to binaural, stereo,and 5.1ch surround file
- Powered by 2 AA batteries (sold separately) or USB bus power
- Compact, conical design
- Records to SD card up to 512GB
- Popular with game developers, filmmakers, musicians, and content creators
- H3-VR handy recorder1
- Foam windscreen1
- Dual mounting bracket1
- Recording mediacards compatible with microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC specifications (Class 4 or higher)
- Recording formats
- Ambisonics A, Ambisonics B (FuMa/AmbiX)
- WAV 4ch poly (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1kHz/16-bit, 44.1kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit, 48kHz/24-bit, 96kHz/16-bit, 96kHz/24-bit
- WAV stereo (supports BWF and iXML): 44.1kHz/16-bit, 44.1kHz/24-bit, 48kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit, 96kHz/16-bit, 96kHz/24-bit
- Display1.25" monochrome LCD (96 x 64)
- Motion sensor6 axes (3-axis gyro, 3-axis acceleration)
- Built-in ambisonic mic
- Type: 4 matched unidirectional condenser mics
- Max SPL: 120dB SPL
- Mic gain: +18 to +48 dB
- Line out
- Connector: 3.5mm stereo mini
- Max output level: 20 mW + 20 mW (into 32Ω load)
- USB connectormicroUSB
- Power2 AA batteries OR AC adapter DC 5V/1A (Zoom AD-17)
- Approximate continuous recording time11.5 hours (with included batteries)
- Dimensions (WxDxH)3x3.07x4.84"
- Weight4.23 oz (120 g)