The RE420 is a premium-grade, high-performance, condenser cardioid vocal microphone. Designed to reveal the exceptional detail and vivid clarity synonymous with condenser elements, it skillfully delivers the lyrical finesse required for expressive vocal performances.
The sonic signature is rich, detailed and full-bodied, with a warm and clear low end, natural and present midrange, and an open, crisp and detailed high end. The cardioid pattern provides excellent acoustic isolation. Maximum feedback rejection occurs when a stage monitor is positioned 180° off-axis to the element. This pattern also allows for a comfortable working range around the microphone making expressive microphone techniques easy.
The multi-stage pop filter consists of two layers of dense foam separated by air, which attenuates wind velocity caused by breath and windblasts. The high-pass filter has two positions (see drawing). The flat position delivers the full frequency band pass of the capsule. The high-pass position attenuates frequencies below 150 Hz.
The internal shock mount isolates the microphone element from vibration and guards against handling noise.
Electro-Voice RE420 Features
- Premium condenser element delivers a highlydetailed, rich, and full bodied sound
- Cardioid polar pattern provides excellent acoustic isolation with a comfortable working range
- Multi-stage pop filter minimizes breath blasts and plosives
- Selectable high-pass filter reduces undesirable low frequency content when engaged
- Vibration-absorbing internal shock mount minimizes handling noise
- RE420 Cardioid Condenser Microphone1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Response50 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance200 ohms
- Sensitivity, open circuit (voltage, 1 kHz)5.6 mV/Pascal (-45 dBV/Pa)
- Clipping (max SPL)149 dB SPL (1% THD)
- Self noise 22 dB SPL "A" weighed (0 dB=20 μPa)
- Dynamic range127 dB
- Signal-to-Noise ratio72 dB
- Power requirements48 VDC phantom power
- PolarityPositive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 relative to pin 3
- Electrical contact3-pin, XLR-type
- Finish Black polyurethane paint
- Dimensions (length, diameter, shank7.6 x 1.95 x 0.96 inches (192 x 49.5 x 24.3 mm)
- Net weight 11.5 oz (326 g)
- Shipping weight 1 lb 4.9 oz (593 g)