Though digital technology and software have made great strides in recent years; we still believe that nothing compares to the level of articulation, depth, realism, and responsiveness of a well-built piece of analog gear. When you hear the bottom-end presence and top-end detail of quality analog gear, the difference is astounding. The cost of most boutique analog equipment is financially out of reach for many recording artists. Our mission is to change this, and introduce as many people as we can to recording and mixing with real, dedicated hardware.
'2A Style Optical Compressor
No plug-in or other compressor type quite compares to the warm, forgiving, fluid qualities of the classic '2A optical compressor. For decades, the renowned ‘2A style circuit has become the go-to device for seamlessly handling vocals, bass, and a wide variety of other instruments and program material in an effortlessly smooth way.
Releasing the WA-2A would be for nothing if we couldn’t make it affordable. Since the start of Warm Audio we have striven to give an unprecedented value to our customers, by putting high end audio within the reach of more people than ever before. This philosophy drives everything we do, and every product we offer.
The WA-2A is a high-voltage, Class-A opto-compressor, utilizing large-core CineMag USA Transformers, four premium vacuum tubes, and the legendary Kenetek opto-cell - considered by many to be the world’s finest.
A Four Tube Operation
The WA-2A operates on four tubes: two 12AX7’s, one 12BH7, and one 6aq5 (or 6P1J). We proudly use Tung-Sol and Electro-Harmonix brand tubes in the signal path, which sound very 'open' and LARGE. All 4 tubes are socketed for easy swapping and replacement.
Warm Audio WA-2A Features
- '2A style, transformer balanced, high voltage, Opto tube compressor
- Utilizes premium grade input and output Cinemag USA transformers
- USA-made Kenetek Opto-cell attenuator T4' style module. Socketed to allow retro-fitting with other Opto-cells
- Premium Tun-Sol and Electro-Harmonix tubes. 2X 12AX7, 1X 12BH7, 1X 6AQ5 OR 6P1.
- Fully discrete signal path
- Variable pre-emphasis, allows for compression hipass filtering (tone control)
- Stereo-link capable via TRS connector
- Input impedance - 600 ohms, Bridges-T control (floating)
- XLR & TRS balanced line level outputs - 600 ohms impedance
- XLR & TRS balanced line level inputs - 600 ohms impedance
- Frequency response +/- 1dB, 15Hz-20kHz
- Ggain 40dB ±1dB
- Input level +16dB maximum
- Outout level +10dB nominal, +16dB maximum
- Distortion less than 0.1% THD @±10dBM.
- Noise = -74dB
- Attack time - 10ms
- Release time - 0.06s for 50% release - 0.5-5 seconds for complete release
- Meter displays both dB gain reduction and dB output
- Power - 115/230V (switchable), 50/60Hz
- Dimensions - 19" rackmount chassis, 2U. 19x7x3.5"