With its large-diaphragm characteristics and fast transient response, the AT5040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone from Audio-Technica is engineered to deliver pristine sound quality, making it an ideal choice for vocal recording and live performance, as well as acoustic instruments such as piano, guitar, strings, and saxophone. Its custom design is comprised of four ultra-thin (2 micron-thick) diaphragms that work together to create a large rectangular element. The result is twice the surface area of a standard 1” circular diaphragm that delivers an extremely low noise floor, without that increased weight, the decreased transient response, or other drawbacks that typically accompany larger diaphragms. With the AT5040 studio mic, quality is key. Each mic is hand-crafted and inspected to ensure 100% quality control, with every discrete component carefully selected with optimized performance in mind, and is enclosed in an elegant housing of aluminum and brass, and boasting a gray finish for low reflectivity and long-lasting durability.
This microphone is intentionally crafted for profound realism and depth. Every aspect of its design takes into account the ultimate goal of minimizing anything that might detract from the microphone’s audio signal. For example, its cardioid condenser boasts an extremely smooth top end with controlled sibilance, and its discrete components have been specifically chosen to enhance the capsule’s performance.
The AT4050 boasts an advanced internal shock mount that decouples the capsule from the microphone body. Its role as a vocal microphone is complemented by its exceptionally low noise capacity and effortless handling of a wide dynamic range and high sound pressure levels, as well as its extended frequency response.
Included with the AT5040 is a shock mount and carrying case. The AT8480 shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands allows for even more isolation from background and handling noise. Custom hard-shell carrying case with die-cut foam compartments for secure transportation and safe storage.
Audio-Technica AT5040 Features
- Smooth top end with controlled sibilance
- Musical high-fidelity performance
- Profound realism, depth, presence, and purity of sound
- Four rectangular diaphragms (2 micron) function together
- Exceptionally low noise and wide dynamic range ideal for studio vocals
- Discrete components carefully selected for optimized capsule performance
- High-SPL capability and extended frequency response
- Hand assembled and inspected for 100% quality control
- Advanced internal shock mounting decouples the capsule from the microphone body
- Elegant, durable housing of aluminum and brass
- Included advanced-design custom AT8480 shock mount provides superior isolation
- Custom hard-shell carrying case with die-cut foam compartments offers protection during storage and transport
- AT5040 cardioid condenser microphone1
- AT8480 shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands1
- Protective carrying case1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance50 ohms
- Sensitivity-25 dBV/Pa (56.2 mV)
- Maximum Input Sound Level142 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.
- Noise5 dB SPL
- Dynamic Range137 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio89 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa
- Phantom Power Requirements48V DC, 3.8 mA typical
- Connector3-Pin XLRM
- Dimensions6.51 inches (165.3 mm) long, 2.24 inches (57 mm) maximum body diameter
- Weight20.5 oz (582 g)