The WA-412 4-Channel Mic Preamp from Warm Audio provides 4 channels of classic American console preamps in a sleek 1RU design. This style of preamp is often referred to as "the sound of Rock n' Roll" for its BIG punchy low end and smooth open top end. The price/performance ratio of the WA-412 is almost unfathomable to the experienced studio engineer who has possibly paid much more for preamps of this style during their career. Featuring fully discrete socketed 6-pin opamps and custom wound Altran USA input and output transformers, the WA-412 leaves nothing to be desired. If you are looking for multiple channels of world class tone in an affordable package, the WA-412 is the right choice for you.
The WA-412 has all the features one would expect from this style of preamp... and more. Output Trim is available on every channel for precise control and creative gain staging. A Tone switch (transformer input impedance) is also available on each channel, which allows you to choose between a warm and punchy classic console tone or go for a more open & neutral sound.
Each channel utilizes a fully discrete socketed 6-pin opamp that can be swapped with other opamps. Discrete opamp circuitry is known for its high headroom and low distortion characteristics and has much to do with the coveted sound of these classic console preamps. Carefully choosing the WA-412 components has resulted in an amazing four channel ‘workhorse’ preamp/DI that performs at the highest levels, while still adding vintage console magic to your signal.
Warm Audio WA-412 Features
- 4 channel microphone preamp + instrument DI
- Fully discrete, transformer coupled, through-hole component topology
- Altran USA custom-wound, premium I/O transformers
- X520 discrete opamp in every channel, socketed for convenience. Can be user-replaced with most 6 PIN, discrete opamps for varying flavor and tone
- +48V phantom power
- LED metering
- Output trim knob for precise level control and tone sculpting
- Internal power supply (grounded, 3 PIN IEC cord)
- WA-412 4-Channel Mic Preamp1
- Gain65 dB
- Inputs Microphone XLR and active instrument 2MEG Ohm HI-Z
- Outputs Transformer balanced XLR and TRS; 20dB pad - pads both mic and instrument DI inputs
- Tone button input impedanceSwitches from 600 Ohms to 150 Ohms (affects the tone of both the mic and HI-Z inputs)
- Self noise <-90dB (nominal)
- Frequency response 20Hz - 20kHz <+/0.25dB (tone button out), 20Hz - 20kHz +/-2dB (tone button in)