Zoom’s F6 multi-track field recorder offers an incredible amount of dynamic range with 32-bit float recording capability and dual AD converters. Its small and durable design makes it an excellent on-the-go recorder that captures great audio quality while withstanding rigorous environments.
Recording in the field presents many challenges, especially with fluctuating dynamics. 32-bit float recording and dual A/D converters in the F6 combine to capture different volumes without clipping loud sounds or losing quiet ones – you don’t even need to adjust the gain.
Though its 36-bit recording is the F6’s claim to fame, recording in 24-bit has a certain advantage. Advanced look-ahead hybrid limiters provide overload protection when the F6 is recording in 24-bit. These limiters add a 1-millisecond delay, allowing them to anticipate clips before they are recorded.
Designed for location sound capture, there are six professional level preamps on the F6. These preamps boast a super-low noise floor (-127 dBu EIN), high gain (up to 75 dB), and offer selectable mic/line levels for each input.
Thanks to the Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator, tracks stay perfectly synced. The TCXO generates a timecode with an accuracy of 0.2 ppm whether the F6 is running or powered off.
Zoom AutoMix™ lets you focus on the action without sacrificing audio quality. This setting automatically adjusts mix levels to minimize pickup of background noise. In Ambisonics mode, access precise A-to-B decoding and balanced gain linking, excellent for capturing spatial audio for VR, AR, and more. Pair with Zoom’s free Ambisonics Player software for easy decoding and editing of your 360-audio.
For further optimization of the F6, add the FRC-8 F-Control. The FR-8 offers 60 mm faders and controls for trim, pan, and track aiming, all go-to tools for any professional filmmaker. For wireless control, use the F6’s F Control APP via BTA-1 (sold separately) to monitor and make adjustments from your iPhone or iPad.
Zoom F6 Features
- 32-bit float recording
- Six pre-amps
- Precision time with Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator
- Advanced look-ahead hybrid
- Zoom AutoMix™
- Ambisonic mode
- F6 multitrack field recorder1
- Camera mount adapter1
- Recording mediaSD cards, SDHC cards, SDXC cards (that conform to standards)
- Inputs 1-6Connectors XLR jack (pin 2 hot)
- EIN−127 dBu or less (A-weighted, +75 dB input gain, 150 Ω input)
- Input (mic)
- Input gain: +12 dB to +75 dB
- Input impedance: 3 kΩ or more
- Max input level: +4dBu
- Input (line)
- Input gain: −8 dB to +55 dB
- Input impedance: 5 kΩ or more
- Max input level: +24 dBu
- Line output
- Connectors: 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output
- Output impedance: 100 Ω or less
- Reference output level: –10 dBV, 1 kHz, 10 kΩ load
- Max output level: +10 dBV, 1 kHz, 10 kΩ load
- D/A dynamic range: 95 dB typ (−60dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Headphone output
- Connector: 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output
- Output impedance: 3.5 mm stereo mini unbalanced output
- Max output level: 100 mW + 100 mW (32Ω load)
- D/A dynamic range: 108 dB typ (−60dBFS input, A-weighted)
- Timecode connectors3.5 mm stereo mini (Tip: IN, Ring: OUT)
- Display1.54" full-color LCD (240×240)
- Dimensions (WxDxH)3.94x4.72x2.48"
- Weight1.16 lbs