Distinctive modes of the H8 Handy Recorder make it the workhorse you need to record musicians, speakers, and sounds of all kinds. Use the touchscreen to record in Podcast, Music, and Field modes.
Professional microphone inputs support up to four people at once in the PODCAST App, with individual gain knobs for each. This mode has four dedicated Sound Pads, and the touchscreen is used for sound effects, music beds, and more. Thirteen sounds are available, and you can load your own from an SD card.
The MUSIC App brings must-have tools to the forefront: control audio levels, faders, metering, and more. EQ and compression allow mixing, overdubbing, and other enhancements. Access loads of amps and effects with Zoom’s Guitar Lab (connect via USB). Ten inputs and 12 tracks make large group recordings easy to set up.
Ideal for location sound, sound design, conferences, and more, the FIELD App supports visual monitoring with large meters and indicators, helping you keep recordings from clipping. Adjust key settings from input type, lo-cut, compress, limiter, noise gate, and more.
Enjoy excellent quality in all modes with the included XYH-6 microphone capsule. Two matched unidirectional microphones capture signals directly in front of the recorder. Zoom’s mic capsules are interchangeable, so you can record mid-side, stereo, shotgun, and more styles (all sold separately). The H8 is part of Zoom’s Capsule System 2.0, allowing up to four channels of audio to be added to the capsule connection (capsules sold separately).
Inputs and outputs help you get the most from each mode. Four XLR inputs have dedicated pad switches and gain control, and two XLR/TRS combo jacks have Hi-Z switches for capturing line level signals or directly recording basses and electric guitars. Monitor tracks from the 1/8” headphone output or connect to your camera from the stereo line out.
Record WAV and MP3 files for up to 10 hours using 4 AA batteries (sold separately)—or get even longer recording times with the AD-17 adapter (sold separately).
Repurpose the H8 as a multi-channel audio interface with up to 12 channels of simultaneous recording by connecting to your Mac, PC, or iPad via USB.
Zoom H8 Features
- Customized applications for field recording, music, and podcasting with 3 distinct interfaces for each
- Interchangeable input capsules
- 12-track simultaneous recording
- Four mic inputs and two XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Gain control knobs and -20dB pads for each input
- Supplied XYH-6 X/Y capsule provides secondary input via a stereo 1/2" Mic/Line In mini phone jack
- Phantom power for four main XLR inputs: +12/+24/+48V
- Large color LCD touchscreen display
- Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 512GB
- Up to 24-bit /96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you'll never miss that perfect take
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression, and limiting
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Monitor and control remotely with the BTA-1 adapter (sold separately)
- H8 eight-track handy recorder1
- XYH-6X/Y mic capsule1
- Input channels8 (XY mic capsule, 1-4, A, B)
- Output channels2 (stereo headphone and stereo line)
- Mic inZOOM mic connector
- Input 1-4XLR jacks (2:HOT)
- Input A/BXLR/TRS combo jacks (XLR: 2 hot, TRS: TIP hot)
- USBUSB Micro-B (use a USB cable that supports data transfer)
- RemoteZOOM BTA-1 or other dedicated wireless adapter
- Line out3.5mm stereo mini
- Phone out3.5mm stereo mini
- Recording mediacards that support SD/SDHC/SDXC specifications
- WAV recording formats44.1/48/96 kHz, 16/24-bit, mono/stereo
- MP3 recording formats128, 192, 320 kbps
- Max simultaneous recording tracks12 (MIC IN, backup recording, 1-4, A, B, and LR)
- Multitrack mode44.1/48/96 kHz, 16/24-bit, 12-in/2-out
- Stereo mix mode44.1/48 kHz, 24-bit, 2-in/2-out
- TunerChromatic/Guitar/Bass/Open A/Open D/Open E/Open G/DADGAD
- Built-in speaker400 mW 8Ω mono speaker
- Display2.4" (320x240) full-color touchscreen LCD
- Power4 AA batteries OR AC adapter (Zoom AD-17) OR USB bus power
- Dimensions (WxDxH)4.58x6.43x1.78"
- Compatible Capsules
- XYH-6 Mic Capsule
- MSH-6 Mic Capsule
- XYH-5 Mic Capsule
- SGH-6 Mic Capsule
- EXH-6 Mic Capsule
- SSH-6 Mic Capsule
- XAH-8 Mic Capsule
- VRH-8 Ambisonic Mic Capsule
- EXH-8 Expander Capsule