The SM81 condenser microphone from Shure makes your instrumental audio sound outstanding. This premium-quality mic is specifically designed for recording in the studio, live broadcasting, and sound reinforcement. Boasting a wide frequency response, low noise characteristics, and low RF susceptibility, the SM81 offers professional polish to applications involving acoustic instruments, particularly guitar, piano, and cymbals.
The cardioid polar pattern of the SM81 delivers excellent rejection of off-axis sounds while maintaining uniform frequency and symmetry around its axis for optimal reliability. The result is a mic that’s easy to “aim”, ensuring you capture all the audio you want and none of the background noise you don’t. The SM81 also enjoys low self-noise from handling and mechanical sources.
The SM81 is built to withstand the rigors of the road, making it a great miking choice for touring musicians. Its rugged construction is comprised of steel for optimal durability, performance after performance. This mic is also field-friendly, being able to operate in a wide range of temperature and humidity conditions.
Other features include phantom powering (DIN 45 596 voltages of 12 to 48 Vdc), operation at 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency response, and a selectable low-frequency response (flat, 6 or 18 dB/octave roll-off), as well as a 0 dB/10 dB lockable attenuator switch. Included with the SM81 condenser instrument microphone are a swivel adapter for simple setup and perfect positioning, an attenuator-switch lock, a foam windscreen, and a carrying case for safe transportation and secure storage.
More about Shure SM Microphones
Designed for extraordinary performances either live on stage or for recording in the studio, Shure’s SM Microphones Series boasts a decades-long legacy that has made them the industry standard for performing artists and audio engineers. They are characterized by a unique mix of professional audio quality and rugged dependability and are designed to be virtually indestructible to meet the stringent expectations of touring and long-term use. Every member of the SM Series features custom-engineered frequency response curves, delivers enhanced gain-before-feedback, and provides better cut-through in live sound environments.
Shure SM81 Features
- Flat response curve for accurate reproduction of sound sources
- Low noise and high output clipping level
- Low distortion over a wide range of load impedances
- Cardioid polar pattern, uniform with frequency and symmetric about axis, providing maximum rejection and minimum coloration of off-axis sounds
- Low RF susceptibility
- Selectable low-frequency response: flat, 6 or 18 dB/octave rolloff
- 0 dB/10 dB lockable attenuator switch
- Phantom powering (DIN 45 596 voltages of 12 to 48 Vdc)
- Rugged steel construction for durability
- Field-usable over wide range of temperature and humidity conditions
- Popular for use with acoustic guitars, piano, and cymbals
- SM81 condenser instrument microphone1
- Swivel adapter1
- Attenuator - switch lock1
- Foam windscreen1
- Carrying case1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance150Ω (85Ω actual)
- Sensitivity at 1kHz open circuit voltage-45dBV/Pa (5.6mV)
- Max SPL136dB SPL (1kHz at 1% THD, 1kΩ load)
- Signal to noise ratio78dB (ref. 94dB SPL at 1kHz)
- Clipping level-4dBV (0.63V) 1kHz at 0.25% THD, 1kΩ load
- Hum pickup-3dB (typical, at 60Hz, equivalent SPL/mOe)
- Polaritypositive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3
- Attenuator switch0 or -10dB, lockable
- Connector3-pin professional audio XLR male
- Power requirements11 to 52 V DC phantom power (1.2mA)
- Housingsteel construction, vinyl metallic paint finish, stainless steel screens
- Operating temperature20°F to 120°F (-6.7°C to 49°C)
- Dimensions8.35" x .93"
- Weight0.5 pounds (0.23 kg)