The MM-1 is at home in high-definition television production, corporate/industrial environments, radio/television announce booths, and music production. Its headphone monitor is an advantage in applications where communications channels or mix-minus feeds need to be monitored in headphones. The user can monitor both microphone audio and external audio sources in headphones with level control.
This mic preamp is designed to be durable. Its aluminum chassis, oversized end panels, machined knobs, and panel mounted connectors assure reliable mechanical operation.
Sound Devices' MM-1 is a single-channel, portable microphone preamplifier with a powerful headphone monitoring function. Proven in mission-critical applications, the high-performance microphone preamplifier uses a transformer-balanced input and output with a bipolar ±15 volt power supply to produce low-noise, low-distortion gain at all switch positions. It features an "unclippable" dual-stage limiter and two-position high-pass filter. Flexible microphone powering provides phantom power at 48 volts or 12 volts and 12-volt T-power. It is powered from two AA batteries or external 5-17 VDC.
Sound Devices MM-1 Features
- Maximum of 66 dB of gain, in eleven discrete steps
- Dynamic range exceeding 120 dB
- 10 Hz to 50 kHz audio bandwidth
- High immunity to RF interference
- High current line output driver
- Transformer-balanced input and output
- Extended range peak limiter via dual opto-isolators makes preamplifier virtually "unclippable"
- Selectable 48-volt / 12-volt phantom power or 12-volt "T" power
- High-pass filter @ 80 or 160 Hz, 6 dB per octave
- Headphone monitoring of microphone audio, monitor audio, or a mix of both
- Monitor input accepts mono, balanced or unbalanced line-level inputs on ¼-inch tip-ring-sleeve connector
- Separate level control of Monitor gain and overall headphone gain
- Split ear function via DIP switches
- Internal battery power (two-AA)
- Excellent battery life with alkaline and NiMH rechargeable batteries
- External 5-17 VDC powering
- High-strength aluminum chassis with durable belt clip
- MM-1 mic preamp1
- Coaxial female power connector1
- Adhesive rubber "bumpers"4
- Gain (mic-line)0 dB to 66 dB input to output, switch selectable
- Analog Input
- Frequency Response: (mic-line) 20 Hz –20 kHz, +0.1, -0.5 dB, -1 dB at 50 kHz (relative to 1 kHz level with 150 ohm source)
- EIN: (Mic) -126 dBu (-128 dBV) maximum (150 ohm source, flat weighting, 22 Hz – 22 kHz bandwidth gain setting 36 dB or greater)
- Dynamic Range: (mic to line) 122 dB minimum at the +18 dB gain setting
- THD+Noise: 0.05% maximum (from 50 Hz – 22 kHz @ +4 dBu output level, 22 Hz – 22 kHz filter bandwidth, +46 dB gain setting
- Gain Accuracy: (Mic – Line) +0.6, -0.1 dB with reference to front panel gain markings (150 ohm source, 100 k load impedances)
- Input Clipping Level: (Mic) +4 dBu minimum at the 0 or +18 dB gain setting
- Common Mode Rejection Ratio: 100 dB minimum at 80 Hz60 dB minimum at 10 kHz
- Output Clipping Level(Line) +22 dBu minimum with 100k ohm load+20 dBu minimum with 600 ohm load
- Dimensions1.95" x 3.75" x 6.55"
- Weight1.1 pounds