The KMS 104 Plus brings studio sound quality to the stage. It is equipped with a true condenser microphone capsule offering the superior clarity that made Neumann studio microphones famous all over the world. At the same time, the KMS 104 Plus possesses the ruggedness required of a stage mic, thus refuting the myth that condenser microphones must be "fragile". The KMS 104 Plus can withstand enormous sound pressure levels of up to 150 dB without clipping, and its tight cardioid pattern ensures high gain before feedback. The KMS 104 Plus has a much smoother frequency response than dynamic microphones and an airy top-end. Compared to dynamic microphones, the Neumann KMS 104 Plus has a vastly superior transient response resulting in a more immediate and emotional vocal sound. This results in effortless intelligibility, without the usual EQ boosts for further improved feedback resistance. Choose this microphone in black or nickel finish.
As a stage microphone, the KMS 104 Plus is optimized for close miking; a fixed low cut filter compensates for the proximity effect and ensures clear bass. Compared to the KMS 104 the KMS 104 Plus gives added emphasis to the lower register (100-150 Hz), lending more "weight" and "warmth" to voices which might sound too "light" with the KMS 104. The Plus version is particularly popular with female singers.
The headgrille is made of hardened steel and features a highly effective internal pop screen which also keeps moisture away from the capsule. Thanks to careful Neumann engineering, these acoustic filters do not cause any sibilance problems. The head amplifier is protected by a thick-walled housing. Its transformerless output minimizes electromagnetic interference, such as hum. Because of its low output impedance of only 50 ohms, the KMS 104 plus can drive very long cable runs of up to 300 m (1000 ft) without transmission losses.
Primarily designed as a handheld vocal microphone, the KMS 104 Plus can be used for other stage applications as well, due to its high SPL capability and wide dynamic range. Examples include percussion, saxophone, trumpet, trombone, harmonica, acoustic guitar, and guitar cabinets. The KMS 104 plus is also a superb microphone for home recording and broadcast applications. As the KMS 104 plus is optimized for close mic placement, it will pick up a dry sound with very little ambience, which is a big advantage in untreated rooms.
Neumann KMS 104 PLUS Features
- Balanced sound with enhanced bass response for extra "warmth"
- Popular with female singers
- Tight cardioid pattern without off-axis coloration
- Studio quality condenser capsule
- Unaffected by extreme sound pressure levels
- Feedback resistant
- Built-in pop screen
- KMS 104 PLUS Cardioid Handheld Condenser Microphone1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid/cardioid/supercardioid
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance50 ohms
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm4.5 mV/Pa
- Equivalent noise level, CCIR1)28 dB
- Equivalent noise level, A-weighted1)18 dB-A
- Signal-to-noise ratio, CCIR1) (rel. 94 dB SPL)66 dB
- Signal-to-noise ratio, A-weighted1) (rel. 94 dB SPL)76 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5%2)150 dB
- Maximum output voltage12 dBu
- Supply voltage (P48, IEC 1938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption (P48, IEC 1938)3.5 mA
- Matching connectorXLR3F
- Weightapprox. 300 g
- Diameter48 mm
- Length180 mm
- 1) according to IEC 60268-1; CCIR-weighting acccording to CCIR 468-3, quasi peak; A-weighting according to IEC 61672-1, RMS
- 2) measured as equivalent el. input signal