The BCM 104 is a dedicated broadcast microphone for radio announcers and DJs, designed to convey emotion with Neumann perfection. Its functionally optimized design features an integrated pop screen and a shock protected large diaphragm condenser capsule, specially developed for speech. Transformerless circuitry ensures a direct, noise-free sound. Designed to convey emotion with perfection, every aspect of the BCM 104 works to ensure highly accurate sound reproduction.
The BCM 104 has a fixed cardioid pattern with excellent rejection of rearward sound. Its frequency response is very linear with a gentle presence boost around 4 kHz and a slight treble lift above 10 kHz for enhanced speech intelligibility. Due to its outstanding transient response, the BCM 104 captures each nuance of the human voice with stunning detail. Because of its wide frequency response, the BCM 104 can be used for much more than speech applications, e.g. sung vocals and a wide variety of instruments.
Large diaphragm condenser capsule captures each nuance without coloration or unwanted artifacts. The BCM 104’s electronic circuit has an extremely low self-noise and can handle sound pressure levels up to 138 dB. Its balanced output operates transformerless for minimal hum interference and high common mode rejection against extraneous signals. A subsonic filter suppresses frequencies below 20 Hz. For close speech operation, an optional 100 Hz low cut is available to compensate for the proximity effect. A second switch activates a –14 dB preattenuation to reduce the BCM 104’s output level for use with equipment designed for dynamic microphones (which typically have a much lower sensitivity than condenser microphones). Both switches are hidden inside the microphone as the low cut and preattenuation options are usually selected only once, at setup.
Characteristic shape is functionally optimized for use with industry standard microphone boom arms. Thanks to its elastic mount, the BCM 104 is well protected against structure borne noise. An integrated pop screen behind the headgrille protects the capsule from air blasts and plosives.
Neumann BCM 104 Features
- Large diaphragm condenser capsule is optimized for speech
- Designed for radio announcers
- Tight cardioid pattern
- 152 dB maximum SPL
- 87 dB S/N ratio
- 22 mV/Pa sensitivity
- Integrated pop screen and shock mount
- Headgrille twists off easily for quick cleaning
- Internal pad and low cut switches
- BCM 104 cardioid condenser microphone1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance50 ohms
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm22 mV/Pa = –33.1 dBV ± 1 dB
- Sensitivity at –14 dB attenuation4.4 mV/Pa
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR18 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-Weighted7 dB-A
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5%138 dB
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5% with Preattenuation152 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL)76 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, A-Weighted (re. 94 dB SPL)87 dB
- Max. Output Voltage10 dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938)3.2mA
- Matching ConnectorXLR 3 F
- Weight17.64 oz
- Dimensions (DxLxH)2.52" x 3.35" x 4.33"