The TLM 193 is a studio condenser microphone with an exceptionally uniform cardioid pattern for a very linear response both on- and off-axis. This makes the TLM 193 a very truthful and straightforward microphone which will capture the source and its room ambience without unwanted coloration. Thus, the TLM 193’s sound image is very close to what you hear with your own ears.
The TLM 193 is a streamlined, cardioid-only version of Neumann's acclaimed reference microphone TLM 170 R. It uses the same K 89 large diaphragm capsule, which is a modern, edge-terminated design uniting the benefits of large and small diaphragm microphones. The TLM 193 combines the superior linearity and fast transient response of a small diaphragm capsule with the smoothness and high sensitivity only a large diaphragm microphone offers.
The TLM 193 uses transformerless circuitry which minimizes transmission losses and ensures a vast dynamic range of 130 dB. This means, the TLM 193 is able to capture very soft and very loud sources without sonic degradation. The microphone’s self-noise of only 10 dB-A is way below the ambient noise in even a very quiet recording studio. And without requiring a pad switch, the TLM 193 is able to handle extreme sound pressure levels of up to 140 dB free from distortion artifacts.
The TLM 193 is a superb microphone for vocals and speech, especially dubbing and voice-over work, where it will capture the authentic voice character without “added flavors”. Of course, the TLM 193 may also be used for a great variety of instruments such as acoustic and electric guitar, drums and percussion, piano, and much more. Mainly designed for home, project, and broadcast studios, it is also a very useful and versatile addition for larger setups. Its linear, uncolored sound image both on- and off-axis makes the TLM 193 an excellent spot mic in orchestral recordings e.g. for low strings, woodwinds and brass.
Neumann TLM 193 Features
- "Plug-and-play" handling is very easy to use
- Uncompromised Neumann quality for small studios
- Large diaphragm capsule with cardioid pattern
- Even frequency response on- and off-axis
- Transformerless circuitry with high SPL capability
- Extremely low self-noise and distortion
- Includes SG2 swivel mount and wooden storage box
- TLM 193 cardioid condenser microphone1
- Swivel mount1
- Wooden box1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance50 ohms
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm18 mV/P23 mV/Pa = –32.5 dBV ± 1 dBa
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR21 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-Weighted10 dB-A
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5%140 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL)73 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, A-Weighted (re. 94 dB SPL)84 dB
- Max. Output Voltage13 dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938)3 mA
- Matching ConnectorXLR 3 F
- Weightapprox. 16.93 oz
- Dimensions1.93" diameter x 6.89" length