With its pristine, clear sound, the TLM 103 is a modern update on the classic U87. The TLM 103 is a transformerless cardioid condenser mic with a gentle presence boost for a stunningly direct sound with breathtaking definition and ultra low noise.
The TLM 103 is a cardioid microphone with a large diaphragm condenser capsule derived from the classic K67/87 capsule of the legendary Neumann U 87. However, the TLM 103 has a slightly more modern voicing with a wide presence boost for frequencies above 5 kHz. Its very direct yet refined sound is perfect for vocals, and solo instruments that pop out of the mix without effort. Of course, the TLM 103 also has the famous authoritative midrange that has become the hallmark of Neumann microphones and made them the number one choice in studios around the world. A unique feature of the TLM 103 is its impressively deep yet controlled low end, perfect for sonorous voices and powerful bass instruments.
The TLM 103 has set new standards for technical performance, too. With an incredibly low self-noise of only 7 dB-A , it is among the quietest microphones available. And its high sensitivity of 23 mV/Pa, ensures ultra low noise even with budget preamps and audio interfaces or vintage tube equipment. At the same time, the TLM 103 can handle enormous sound pressure levels of up to 138 dB without the need for preattenuation. Its vast dynamic range of 131 dB makes the TLM 103 a very easy to use studio microphone as it will capture anything from a soft whisper to a thunderous bass drum without adding noise or distortion.
As a member of Neumann's TLM series, the TLM 103 works with a transformerless output stage, which minimizes transmission losses and ensures a very immediate, uncolored sound, true to the original, as well as a clear, powerful bass response, even at highest signal levels.
Neumann TLM 103 Mono Set Features
- Capsule design derived from the legendary U 87 A
- Consistent cardioid pattern
- Broad presence boost for enhanced sound definition
- Extremely low self-noise
- TLM 103 microphone1
- Shock mount1
- Aluminum case1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance50 ohms
- Sensitivity at 1kHz into 1kΩ23 mV/Pa = –32.5 dBV ± 1 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR17.5 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-Weighted7 dB-A
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5%138 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL) 76.5 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, A-Weighted (re. 94 dB SPL) 87 dB
- Max. Output Voltage13 dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938)3 mA
- Matching ConnectorXLR 3 F
- Weightapprox. 15.87 oz
- Dimensions2.36" diameter x 5.2" length