The USM 69 I is a one-point stereo microphone for all coincident stereo techniques such as XY, MS, and Blumlein. Each of the two large diaphragm capsule systems has its own pattern selector with 5 positions; the upper system can be rotated over a range of 270°. The USM 69 I can also be used in mono with two directional characteristics simultaneously. This microphone is available in black or nickel finish.
The USM 69 I has two separate dual diaphragm condenser capsules, mounted vertically, which may be rotated against each other over an angle of 270°. The polar pattern of each capsule can be selected individually using two built-in rotary switches. Each capsule has its own head amplifier feeding separate pins of the XLR 5 output connector. This makes it two independent microphones in one convenient package.
With five polar patterns available for each capsule – omni, wide cardioid, cardioid, hypercardioid, and figure-8 – the USM 69 I allows for MS and XY stereo techniques in all variations, including Blumlein. Thanks to its low self-noise of 13 dB-A and its high SPL capability of 132 dB, the USM 69 I may be placed freely for best sound and imaging, with no worries about excess noise or distortion. An active subsonic filter protects the output transformers from overload due to structure borne noise.
The USM 69 I is an excellent stereo microphone for any musical applications such as vocal and instrumental ensembles, drum overheads, large instruments such as grand piano and harp, as well as solo instruments when stereo width and spatial movement is desired to enhance the listening experience. The USM 69 I is also a superb microphone for radio drama, and audio book productions. The USM 69 I may also be used to record a mono source with two different polar patterns simultaneously. Since both microphones inside the USM 69 I work completely independently, it can serve as its own backup microphone in high reliability situations.
Neumann USM 69 Features
- Stereo microphone for XY and MS stereophony
- Two large diaphragm capsules with 5 polar patterns each
- Same large diaphragm capsules as U 87 AI
- Upper capsule rotates against the lower capsule over 270° for XY and MS techniques
- Transformer balanced circuit with very low self-noise
- USM 69 I multi-pattern stereo condenser microphone1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar Patterns (selectable)Cardioid, Wide Angle Cardioid, Hypercardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance150 Ω
- Rated Load Impedance1 kΩ
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm13 mV/Pa
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR24 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-Weighted13 dB-A
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5%132 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL)70 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, A-Weighted (re. 94 dB SPL)81 dB
- Max. Output Voltage3 dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938)2 x 0.7 mA
- Matching ConnectorXLR 3 F
- Weight17.99 oz
- Dimensions1.89" diameter x 11.53" length