The U 89 I is a universal studio microphone combining classic transformer coupled circuit topology with a state of the art Neumann capsule. Its linear yet smooth response has made it a prime choice for voice over and speech, but thanks to five selectable polar patterns, low noise and distortion, it covers almost any recoding situation in any genre. This microphone is available in black or nickel finish.
The U 89 I combines advanced capsule technology with classic transformer coupled electronics. The result is a very versatile large diaphragm condenser microphone for all studio applications. Its features include five selectable polar patterns and a two-stage low cut as well as a switchable 6 dB preattenuation for extreme sound pressure levels of up to 140 dB without unwanted distortion.
K89 dual diaphragm condenser capsule is an advanced design with an extended, very smooth frequency response in all polar patterns. Its diffuse-field response is very even, too, which is crucial for natural sounding recordings in reverberant environments. In other words, the U 89 I’s sound balance remains intact as you switch between polar patterns, and any off-axis sound, including spill from other instruments, is picked up uncolored. This is quite extraordinary for a large diaphragm microphone.
The U 89 i offers the best of both worlds, combining the sonic precision and linearity of a state-of-the-art small diaphragm condenser microphone with the smoothness and flexibility of a large diaphragm microphone. This makes the U 89 I a truly universal studio microphone. The U 89 I is an excellent vocal microphone, especially for trained professionals who prefer to have their voice captured in its natural beauty. For the same reasons, the U 89 I is a sought-after microphone for voice over and film dubbing. U 89 I’s unique combination of flexibility and superior off-axis behavior makes it an excellent choice for orchestral recordings, where it can be used as a main microphone or as a spot microphone for soloists and individual sections.
Neumann U89 I Features
- Universal studio microphone
- Five directional characteristics
- High linearity for all polar patterns
- Uncolored off-axis response
- Compact size
- Switchable pad and two-stage low cut
- Very low distortion
- High SPL capabilities (140 dB)
- Transformer balanced circuit
- U89 I multi-pattern studio condenser microphone1
- Wooden box1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar Patterns (selectable)Cardioid, Wide Angle Cardioid, Hypercardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Rated Output Impedance150 Ω
- Rated Load Impedance1 kΩ
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm8 mV/Pa = −42 dBV ± 1 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, CCIR28 dB
- Equivalent Noise Level, A-Weighted17 dB-A
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5%134 dB
- Max. SPL for THD 0.5% with preattenuation140 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio CCIR (re. 94 dB SPL)66 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio, A-Weighted (re. 94 dB SPL)77 dB
- Max. Output Voltage0.3 dBu
- Supply Voltage (P48, IEC 61938)48 V ± 4 V
- Current Consumption (P48, IEC 61938)0.8 mA
- Matching ConnectorXLR 3 F
- Weight14.12 oz
- Dimensions1.81" diameter x 7.28"