Produce and perform music anywhere, anytime—without clutter or complications. The MC-101 GROOVEBOX has all the high-quality sounds, sequencing, and effects of the professional MC-707, in a compact four-track version that’s go-everywhere portable. Get started with an inspiring collection of ready-to-go sounds and patterns, or easily create your own. Craft a unique style by importing custom sounds and loops that sync to tempo. And you can perform with the MC-101, triggering clips and shaping your sounds with direct, hands-on control.
The MC-101 is solid-yet-light and runs for about five hours on four AA batteries, so you can design sounds, create drum patterns, and compose musical phrases just about anywhere. And it’s not just a scratch pad for simple ideas. You can produce fully-fledged professional tracks or create backing tracks and accompaniment for live performance.
The MC-101 has a four-track sequencer optimized for creating today’s electronic and dance-focused music. You can use the 16 RGB pads to create drum, bass, and synthesizer patterns and produce your own original music. Explore a musical playground, where you can freely combine loops and one-shots with melodic phrases including your own MIDI sequences and imported audio recordings. Compose and chain scenes or clips, rearrange, re-sample, record automation, and more.
The MC-101 uses the ZEN-Core Synthesis System—the most advanced synth engine Roland has made. ZEN-Core delivers the Roland sounds that have defined electronic and dance genres for over forty years. Legendary instruments like the TR-808, TR-909, JUNO-106, and SH-101 are all here, ready to replicate classic sounds or be combined, tweaked, and processed into entirely new sounds.
Compose from a curated collection of projects with built-in beats, phrases and sounds, all expertly crafted by renowned artists and sound designers - with even more available to download with ZEN-Core Sound Packs.
Each track contains a powerful sample player so you can import your own custom sounds. Use your own voice, or the sound of your favorite instrument from your computer. Imported audio can sync with the MC-101’s tempo or be processed with the arsenal of built-in effects and hands-on controls.
With the MC-101’s wide range of pro effects, your music sounds polished and fully produced. Each track has independent effects processors with a huge number of variations. Lush chorus brings depth to pads and other synth sounds. Delays and reverbs create evocative spaces and add movement to delicate sequences. Overdrive, distortion, and amp simulation inject grit and intensity into synths, guitars, drums and more. You can also run your entire mix through master effects like filters, bit-crushers, and a master bus compressor that glues it all together with punch and clarity.
When you’re ready to further develop your tracks, or share your creations with friends and fans, simply connect the MC-101 to your computer with a single USB cable. It has advanced USB audio interface capabilities and can record an entire mix or all four parts to individual tracks in your DAW. Or sample sounds from your DAW to capture backing tracks, stems, or the sound of a favorite software synth for your next live show.
Roland MC-101 Features
- Small size, massive groove
- Runs for about 5 hours on 4 AA batteries
- 4-track sequencer
- 16 RGB pads
- ZEN-Core Synthesis System
- Built-in beats, phrases and sounds; add even more with ZEN-Core Sound Packs
- Import your own custom sounds
- Produce tracks ready to stream or perform
- Connect to your computer via USB cable (sold separately)
- MC-101 GROOVEBOX music workstation1
- SD card1
- SD card protector1
- Sound GeneratorZEN-Core (Tone, Drum Kit)
- Track TypeTone, Drum Kit, Looper (Audio Loop)
- Maximum Polyphony
- ZEN-Core: 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load)
- LOOPER: 4 (varies according to the available number of Looper track)
- 64 clips (16 clips per track)
- Clip Type: Tone, Drum Kit, Looper (Audio Loop), it varies according to the track type
- Preset Tone: 3,000 or greater
- Preset Drum Kit: 80 or greater
- User Sample (as a Tone or Drum Kit): available by importing form SD CARD
- Looper Sample (as a clip of Looper track): available by importing from SD CARD
- Track Multi-Effects: 90 types
- Track EQ
- Chorus / Delay: 9 types
- Reverb: 7 types
- Master Effects: 90 types
- Master Compressor
- Master EQ
- Step Sequencer Maximum Step128 steps
- LooperTime Stretch, Pitch Shift
- Display16 characters, 2 lines LCD (with backlit)
- External StorageSD Card (SDHC supported) for saving Project Data and Audio Data
- PHONES jack: Stereo miniature phone type
- OUT(L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
- MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
- USB port: USB B type (Audio, MIDI)
- Power Supply
- Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
- Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4
- Obtained via USB port (USB bus power)
- Current Draw500 mA
- Expected Battery Life Under Continuous Use3 - 4.5 hours
- Dimensions (WxDxH)8.8" x 5.19" x 2.5"
- Weight1.5 pounds