Get the ultimate dynamics, tone, and stereo field control for your 2-buss with the Rupert Neve P2MB Portico II Master Buss Processor. Based around the high voltage, discrete and class-A signal paths made famous in the 5088 Mixer, the Portico II is a creative tool that redefines the boundaries and limitations of traditional 2-channel compression and limiting. Though originally developed for mastering applications, the MBP quickly became a favorite of mix engineers, tracking engineers, and even FOH engineers. From mixing bass-heavy EDM to a delicate master of a chamber ensemble, it has something to offer everyone – no matter the use or genre.
This new topology is a significant evolution of Mr Rupert Neve’s classic designs with appreciable benefits to headroom, dynamic range, distortion, noise, slew rate, bandwidth, and accuracy while still providing the sweet, musical performance that has been a part of countless recordings.
The MBP’s two compressor sections allow virtually limitless possibilities in dynamics for either dual mono or stereo sources, with controls for ratio, threshold, attack, release, blend, side chain HPF, limit and make up gain.
The MBP also features an extremely versatile, transparent and musical limiter with single knob operation. Limiter is extremely intelligent, knowing how to appropriately respond to the various signals presented to it. It limiter will simultaneously respond quickly to transient material (such as the “snap” of a snare drum) and slowly to more sluggish signals (such as a bass guitar). This configuration allows the limiter to grab a transient and let go just an instant later, while also dealing with more constant signals in a slower, more musical way.
The stereo field editor on the MBP takes traditional M-S techniques to new heights with width, depth and corresponding bandpass filters. Drive the mix hard, choose your Silk flavor, and crank the Texture knob for a rich, saturated, vintage vibe – or disengage Silk entirely for clear, wide-open sonic beauty. The choice is yours.
Rupert Neve P2MB Features
- Threshold: 31-detent potentiometer adjusts the level at which the compressor begins to attenuate the signal
- Ratio: this 31-detent potentiometer adjusts the compressor slope between 1:1: to 40:1
- Blend: this 31-detent potentiometer adjusts the mix ratio of uncompressed (dry) signal with the compressed (wet) signal
- Comp In: this illuminated push-button switch engages the compressor-limiter section on its respective channel
- Bypass All: this illuminated push-button switch engages the compressor-limiter section on its respective channel
- FF/FB: this illuminated push-button switch toggles between two different compression modes
- Gain: this 31-detent potentiometer provides two different functions, as standard make-up gain or the ceiling of their mix
- Attack: this 31-detent potentiometer sets how quickly the compressor will attenuate to the input signal once it exceeds the set threshold
- Release: this 31-detent potentiometer adjusts how fast the compressor will return to unity gain after the signal level crosses below the threshold
- S/C 125 Hz: this illuminated push-button switch engages a 125 Hz 12 dB/octave Sallen Key High Pass Filter into the compressor-limiter side-chain
- RMS/Peak: this illuminated push-button switch modifies the compressor side-chain detection
- Link: the link control sums the side-chain information from both compressor-limiter channels, enabling Channels A's controls as MASTER
- Limit: this 31-detent potentiometer controls the threshold of the soft-clip limiter section
- Depth (activated with the Depth In switch): this 31-detent potentiometer adjusts the overall level of the center (mid) information within the SFE’s M-S encoding
- Width (activated with the Width In switch): this 31-detent potentiometer adjusts the overall level of the side information within the SFE’s M-S encoding
- Depth EQ: this illuminated push-button switch engages the 4-position rotary switch that allows the user to select between four different EQ settings for Depth processing
- Width EQ: this illuminated push-button switch engages the 4-position rotary switch that allows the user to select between four different EQ settings for Width processing
- SFE to Comp: this illuminated push-button switch routes the Depth and Width information to Channel A and Channel B compressor paths, respectively, allowing the user to manipulate the dynamic content of the Mid and Side information
- Silk: this illuminated push-button switch toggles through the available SILK transformer harmonic saturation modes
- Texture: this 31-detent potentiometer allows the user to adjust the amount of Silk transformer saturation added to the signal path when Silk Red or Blue modes are engaged
- Gain Reduction Meter: this 16 segment LED bar-graph meter indicates compressor-limiter gain reduction, indicated in dB
- Output Meter: this 16-segment LED bar-graph meter indicates output level, indicated in dBu
- Side Chain Send/Return: external compressor side chain send and return on 2 x TRS jacks
- Internal Universal Power Supply: EIC connection for world-wide AC power from 100-240V embedded in the 2U rack-mountable chassis
- P2MB Portico II master buss processor1
- Frequency Response (Compressor and SFE Bypassed, Unloaded)
- 5 Hz to 100 kHz: +/- 0.5dB typical
- 120 kHz: -3dB typical
- Maximum Output Level (Compressor and SFE Bypassed, Unloaded)20 Hz to 40 kHz: +25 dBu typical
- THD and Noise
- 1 kHz, +20 dBu: Less than 0.003% typical
- 20Hz, +20 dBu: Less than 0.10% typical
- 20 kHz, +20 dBu output: Less than 0.010% typical
- Threshold: -30 dBu to +20 dBu
- Ratio: 1.1:1 to 40:1
- Blend: 0% to 100% Compressor
- Gain: 0 dB to +20 dB
- Attack: 20 mS to 80 mS
- Release: 100 mS to 3.0 S
- AC Power Consumption85 watts max.
- Fuse5 x 20mm Bussman type GDA 2.5A, Fast Acting, Ceramic
- Dimensions (HxWxD)3.5" x 19" x 12"