The second generation Vanguard V13 is a large-diaphragm multi-pattern tube condenser microphone that will be your go-to mic for vocals and instruments alike. Improving upon the legacy of the original V13, gen2 combines smooth modern detail with vintage warmth and character. Other improvements include an upgrade power supply, premium cryogenically-treated tube circuitry (including US-made audiophile-grade resistors), Neutrik® Group interconnects, and a VLSM shockmount.
The V13 gen2 was designed with the character of yesteryear's iconic vintage tube microphones in mind, while also utilizing the latest technology to ensure every nuance and detail of the performance is faithfully captured. Specifically engineered with warm, full lows, a precise and detailed midrange, and buttery-smooth high-end, the V13 gen2 unifies warmth with clarity, depth with detail, and character with precision.
The V13 gen2 is particularly forgiving when it comes to vocal style and timbre, sounding great with almost any vocal complexion.
One important design objective was maintaining a low noise floor - especially difficult when working with vacuum tube circuitry. In tests against several similar microphones, the V13 gen2 came out with an incredibly low noise floor, one of the quietest tube microphones on the market.
Design is premium from start to finish. An extra large 34mm edge-terminated, gold-sputtered Mylar dual-capsule assembly is custom-voiced with a proprietary hand-tuning process and placed in an open-weave headbasket for natural sound with low internal reflections. Vanguard Audio Labs designed a circuit that matches the unique musical properties of their capsules and loaded it with premium-grade, over-spec components. Critical components in the signal path are cryogenically treated to improve lifespan and performance. Low-frequency roll-off and -10dB pad toggle switches are on the rear of the microphone, easily accessible. Electronics are topped off with an ultra-linear, fully shielded, custom-wound, dual-bobbin humbucking transformer for the output stage to drive long cable runs.
Microphone exterior is a precision-machined stainless steel body coated with the Vanguard Audio Lab signature Pinot Noir. Deep lustrous gloss provides the finish, and polished nickel trim accents the design. Microphone components are sourced from around the world and assembled in the United States.
Vanguard Audio Labs V13 gen2 Features
- Limited Quantities
- Custom-voiced, edge-terminated 34mm dual-capsule assembly with gold-sputtered Mylar diaphragms
- 9 polar patterns (selectable at power supply)
- Vacuum tube analog circuitry with premium-grade components
- Deep-cycle cryogenic treatment of critical signal path components
- Transformer-coupled output – humbucking, shielded, dual-bobbin transformer
- -10dB pad and low-frequency rolloff toggle switches
- Robust redesigned power supply design for ultra-low noise floor
- Open-weave headgrills for natural sound with low internal reflections
- Vanguard’s proprietary hand-tuned custom voicing
- Rear venting to prolong tube and component life
- Heavy-duty brass, aluminum, stainless steel, and zinc metal construction
- V13 gen2 9-pattern tube condenser microphone1
- PS-13 gen2 power supply1
- VLSM large shockmount1
- Heavy-gauge 7-pin microphone cable1
- Power cable1
- Pinewood microphone box1
- Locking aluminum carry case1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar Patterns (selectable) Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance200 Ω
- Max SPL134 dB (144dB with pad)
- Equivalent Noise Level≤13dB (A-weighted)
- S/N Ratio≥81dB (Ref. 1Pa A-weighted)
- Output Connectormale XLR 7-pin gold-plated
- High-Pass/Rolloff Switch125Hz (6dB/octave)
- Attenuation/Pad Switch-10dB
- Voltage Requirement110-240V
- Electronics Typevalve/tube, transformer-coupled output
- Microphone: 8.2" long, 2.05" diameter
- Case (LxWxH): 16.73" x 12.8" x 5.25"
- Microphone: 1.07 pounds
- Microphone in Case: 11.67 pounds