The Shure Beta 98AD/C is a cardioid condenser instrument microphone that is precision-engineered for professional drum and instrument sound in live and studio applications. This mic is ideal for use with snares, toms and percussion, while the highly compact design provides a variety of placement options for other instruments as well, such as piano, reed, wind, and strings.
Featuring an innovative design that streamlines the microphone’s footprint for more flexible placement options and minimizes stage clutter, the Beta 98AD/C boasts a frequency response that’s been tailored to drums, percussion, and other applications that require a wide dynamic range in a high-SPL environment. Its uniform cardioid polar pattern provides excellent gain-before-feedback and off axis rejection of unwanted noise for a smooth and natural high-end response.
Beta 98A Models
- The Beta 98AD/C includes an A98D drum mount. This drum mount features a flexible gooseneck for accurate placement and secure attachment.
- The Beta 98A/C is the same microphone, with the sole difference being it does not include the drum mount.
- The Beta 98AMP/C includes an integrated preamplifier. It comes with a flexible gooseneck and the A75M mount
Please note - any Beta drum microphone featuring the letter 'A' following the model number contains a new capsule and as a result you can expect a more natural high frequency response.
The Beta 98AD/C is great for:
- Snares, toms, and percussion
- Reed, wind, and string instruments
More about Shure Beta Microphones
For over two decades, Shure Beta Microphones have been the choice of top touring and recording professionals for capturing fine details in demanding acoustic environments. Each specialized model is precision-engineered for focused, accurate reproduction of the intended source. Recognized for their superior construction, low handling noise, and high gain-before-feedback, Beta Microphones redefine sensitivity and control for essential, expert sound reinforcement.
Shure Beta 98AD/C Features
- Uniform cardioid polar pattern provides with smooth high-end response
- Frequency response tailored for drums and percussion applications with a wide dynamic range for use in high SPL environments
- Precision-engineered compact design for unobtrusive microphone footprint
- Ships with A98D Drum mount featuring a flexible gooseneck for precise placement and secure attachment
- Enamel-coated metal construction and stainless steel inner grille resist wear and abuse
- The supplied cable connects the BETA 98A to the preamplifier. If necessary, up to 23 m (75 ft) of cable can be used between the microphone and preamplifier without signal loss
- Ideal for tom-toms, snare drum, cymbals, brass and woodwinds
- Beta 98AD/C miniature cardioid condenser drum microphone1
- Beta 98 drum mount1
- In-line Preamplifier (1 piece)1
- Snap-fit windscreen1
- 4.6 m (15 ft.) cable1
- Zippered carrying bag1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Response20 Hz - 16 kHz
- Output Impedance179 Ω
- Sensitivity (at 1kHz, open circuit voltage)–48.0 dBV/Pa (4.0 mV)
- Max. SPL (1kHz at 1% THD, 1kΩ load)144 dB
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (referenced at 94 dB SPL at 1kHz)64 dB
- Dynamic Range (at 1kHz, 1kΩ load)114 dB
- Clipping Level (1kHz at 0.25% THD, 1kΩ load)1.0 dBV (1.26 V)
- Self Noise (typical, equivalent SPL, A-weighted)30 dB SPL
- Polaritypositive pressure on diaphragm produces positive voltage on pin 2 with respect to pin 3
- Connector3-pin professional audio (XLR), male, balanced
- Power Requirements11–52 VDC phantom power (IEC-61938), 3.6 mA
- Weight0.6 oz