The MPD218 from Akai Professional is a MIDI-over-USB pad controller that combines intuitive MPC controls with easy USB connectivity. Ideal for producers, programmers, musicians, and DJs alike, the MPD218 propels the feel of classic beat-making into modern computer music production. It includes the MPC Software production suite, which is packed with features such as 128-track sequencing capability, real-time time-stretching, clip-launch functionality, advanced MIDI editing capability, advanced sampling, and audio editing/recording functionality, Ableton Link compatibility, and much more.
Akai Pro’s MPD2 Series stands on the shoulders of its beloved predecessor, their MPDs. After over six years of thorough and thoughtful research, and taking careful account of the feedback of their customers, the result is a fully enhanced, next-generation line of pad controllers that boast improved controls, intuitive MPC pads, and updated bundled software.
The first thing you’ll probably notice with the new-and-improved MPD218 is its optimized controls. The ultra-sensitive and hyper-responsive Thick Fat MPC pads are backlit to make your performance a more dynamic experience. Akai Pro took the MPD18’s single control and expanded it to a set of 6 knobs in 3 banks, enhancing your ability to manipulate effects and maximize your sound.
Another high-priority feature included with this second iteration of the MPD series is fully updated software and functionality. Akai Pro added iOS compatibility, using the Camera Connection Kit (sold separately) as well as free onboard software (of over $400 value) including MPCS Beats, Big Bang Drums, and Big Bang Cinematic Percussion from Sonivox. Also included is Ableton Live Lite software and Software Preset Editor. Software Preset Editor allows you to intuitively edit from the front panel, without needing to transfer your attention to your computer. Additionally, the MPD218 is upgrade-ready for Akai Pro’s critically-acclaimed software, MPC 2.0.
The MPD218 includes everything you need for simple, fast connectivity, making it the perfect bridge between your creativity and computer-based studio setup. Plug-and-play using its USB interface and included USB cable to connect to a PC or Mac, eliminating the need for installing any drivers.
Akai MPD218 Features
- 16 Thick Fat backlit MPC pads
- 48 assignable pads accessible via 3 banks
- 18 assignable 360-dgree potentiometers accessible via 3 banks
- MPC Note Repeat and Full Level
- iOS compatible using the Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
- 16 configurable presets
- USB powered, no AC adapter required
- USB Cable1
- Software Download Cards1
- User Guide1
- Safety & Warranty Manual1
- 16 velocity- and pressure-sensitive pads, red-backlit
- 3 banks accessible via Pad Bank button
- 6 360° assignable potentiometers
- 3 banks accessible via Control Bank button
- USB port
- Kensington lock
- System Requirements
- 1.25 GHz G4/G5 or faster (Intel Mac recommended)
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 (10.5 or later recommended)
- 1.5 GHz Pentium 4 Celeron-compatible CPU or faster (multicore CPU recommended)
- 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
- Windows 8, 7, Vista, or XP
- Windows-compatible sound card (ASIO driver support recommended, QuickTime recommended)
- Power SourceUSB bus-powered
- Dimensions (W x D x H)9.4 x 7.9 x 1.6 inches (23.9 x 20.1 x 4.1 cm)
- Weight1.65 lb (0.57 kg)