The 543 features a fully controllable compressor-limiter with feed-forward / feedback modes, Peak / RMS detection and a built-in side chain high pass filter. With an unrivaled heritage and a tremendous feature set, the 543 provides an astonishing degree of flexibility and precision.
In contrast to a diode bridge design like the Rupert Neve 535 compressor, which adds a thick, very colorful tonality to the source, the 543 makes use of a very accurate, low noise, low distortion VCA. This provides an immense amount of dynamic control and subtle warmth, without necessarily leaving a heavy sonic imprint on your tracks or mixes.
To offer faster, more technically accurate response times, feed-forward detection was also implemented in the 543: with the FF / FB switch, both classic and modern VCA responses are available. Another highly useful feature of the 543 is the Peak / RMS mode, which allows the VCA to respond to both RMS (Root Mean Square) and peak levels.
Rupert Neve 543 Features
- Threshold sets level from -30 dB to +20 dB
- Ratio control from 1:1 (minimal) to 40:1 (limit)
- Comp In engages compressor section
- F/F mode is useful for shaping envelope of the sound, and introducing more bounce
- F/B mode tends to sound smoother and more natural
- Continuously variable gain from -6 dB to +20 dB
- Attack determines speed the compressor reacts and starts attenuating from 20mS to 75mS
- Release determines how fast compressor returns to 0 after attenuating from 100mS to 2.5 seconds
- RMS/Peak control
- Sidechain HPF
- Link the reduction of two 543 units together