Originally developed for the dynamics circuit of the acclaimed Shelford Channel, the 535 Diode Bridge Compressor captures the soul of Rupert Neve’s original 2254 compressor while providing modern updates including advanced timing control, significantly lower noise, fully stepped controls throughout, and internal parallel processing capabilities.
The RATIO control has six selectable positions on a rotary switch, allowing the user to set the slope of the compressor curve with pre-selected ratios of 1.5:1 through 8:1 for levels above the determined THRESHOLD. This range of compression ratios allows the user to compress as moderately or heavily as desired.
The BLEND control has 31 detents and allows the user to mix the uncompressed (dry) signal with compressed (wet) signal. Turning the control towards 0% will shift the mix to fully uncompressed dry signal, whereas turning the control towards 100% will shift the mix to the fully compressed signal. This feature allows for parallel compression, enabling a wide range of compression subtlety.
The GAIN control has 31 detents and allows the user to add make-up gain to the compressed signal in order to bring its level back up to unity with the uncompressed input signal.
The S/C HPF switch allows the user to insert a 12dB/octave 150Hz high-pass filter in the compressor side chain. When this filter is engaged, the compressor will be considerably less responsive to information below 150Hz.
Two LED meters for level and gain reduction provide highly accurate representations of both the output level of the compressor and the amount of gain reduction being applied to the input signal.
Rupert Neve 535 Features
- Threshold sets level where compression begins (-25dB to +20dB)
- Ratio control
- Timing has six positions
- Use Fast switch to double timing presets
- Blend control to mix uncompressed (dry) signal with compressed (wet) signal
- Gain control
- Comp in switch engages compression circuit
- Link switch to link compressors together
- Side chain HPF
- LED meters for level and gain reduction metering
- 535 500 series diode bridge compressor1
- Line Input to Line OutputCompressor Bypassed. Z source = 40 Ohm Balanced
- Input Impedance10K ohm
- Output Impedance40 ohm
- Max. Input Level+23.5 dBu
- Max. Output Level+23.5 dBu
- Noise22 Hz - 22 kHz BW. -101 dBu
- Frequency Response10 Hz - 120 kHz, 30ft Output XLR Cable. +/- 0.25 dB
- THD+N@ 1 kHz @ Maximum Output Level, 22 Hz - 22 kHz BW. 0.001%