The X1 A: It could be your first mic, but it's one you'll want to keep forever. There's a new entry point to sE's acclaimed X1 Series, and it's breaking the performance barrier (again) for every mic in its class. When it was introduced in 2011, the X1 brought a new level of quality to its price point, competing easily with microphones costing several times as much. But that didn't stop sE from trying to outdo themselves again.
With a newly-developed condenser capsule and an exterior based on the rugged metal chassis of the X1, the X1 A offers first-class sound & specifications at an even better "home studio" cost, featuring an extremely natural frequency response, massive SPL-handling capabilities (150dB!), switchable attenuation and low-cut filters, and a perfectly balanced sensitivity level - so it's at home on absolutely any source.
Unlike the cheaply constructed bodies of some other "entry-level" microphones, the X1 A's all-metal chassis provides efficient rejection of any electrical interference and noise - and the high-quality finish ensures a great look for years to come.
The integrated windscreen eliminates the need for an external pop filter, and provides an extra layer of safety and security for the all-important capsule.
The X1 A's new condenser capsule design is a work of art, delivering stellar sonic performance on any source with incredible speed, accuracy, and well-balanced frequency response.
The electronics have also undergone a complete overhaul, and exhibit better specifications and sound - on and off the test bench - than any other microphone in its class.
The -20 dB pad switch on the left provides extended dynamic range, enabling a wide range of applications and close-mic techniques for even the loudest instruments...think super-heavy electric guitars, fortissimo brass instruments, and heavy-footed kick drums.
On the right, the 100 Hz low-cut switch helps eliminate low-frequency rumble or footfall noise, and compensates for excessive bass with close-mic techniques (proximity effect).
sE Electronics X1 A Features
- All-metal housing and premium finish
- Integrated windscreen
- Completely new acoustic design
- Attenuation and low cut switches
- Gold-plated XLR connector
- X1 A Cardioid Condenser Microphone1
- Swivel mic clip1
- Mic stand thread adapter1
- Transducer TypeCondenser
- Polar PatternCardioid
- Frequency Range20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Output Impedance<50 Ohms
- Sensitivity20 mV/Pa (-34 dB)
- Max SPL130 / 150 dB (0 / 20 dB pad, (0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Signal to Noise Ratio78 dB(A)
- Equivalent Noise Level16 dB(A)
- Dynamic Range114 / 134 dB (0 / 20 dB pad)
- Low Cut Filter100 Hz, 6 dB/oct, switchable
- Attenuation Pad20 dB, switchable
- Connectivity3-pin male XLR
- Power requirement48V phantom according to IEC 61938
- Recommended Load Impedance>1K Ohms
- Current Consumption4.0 mA